Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PRTD expiry 

Ken5421
Ken5421

Posted On: 9/11/2021
Ken5421
Ken5421
Hi there,

I have a question.

I was issued with a PRTD in the UK so I could return to Canada.

I’m now back in Canada and sent off all my paperwork to renew my PR card which had expired some years ago.

I have not yet received any confirmation that my paperwork has been received by immigration.

My concern Is that my PRTD will expire in October

What am I meant to do? I have rung immigration but they currently have a message to say they are very busy dealing with the situation in Afghanistan, and just keep checking online about my paperwork.

My big question is what happens when my POTD has expired? What am I meant to do as processing times for a new PR card take at least four months.

I will be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks

Ken
link
sabine
sabine

Posted On: 9/25/2021
sabine
sabine
Hello there,
I have submitted my PR card renewal back in June/beginning of July and still have not received any confirmation. I was also told that everything is on hold due to the Afghanistan crisis. Current time to process 133 days. I think a PRTD is anyways only to be used for ONE entry into Canada, so it is anyways expired if you already used it for travel. If you do not travel you do not need PRTD to re-enter Canada. If you want to travel you can apply for a new PRTD - but, as I was told, right now it is also uncertain how fast a PRTD will be processed.
I have the same problem - as I wanted to travel for Christmas but need to be back two weeks later, so cannot afford to wait for a PRTD, but not sure if my PR card arrives on time. Very frustrating, I understand, I am in the same boat.
Sabine
link