Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Same-sex temporary resident partner 

Scorpion4664
Scorpion4664

Posted On: 9/11/2021
Scorpion4664
Scorpion4664
Hello,
I am a female residing in Canada as a Citizen. I want to get married to my girlfriend who is on a vistor visa here in Canada, she is a Pakistani citizen. We cannot live together as lgbtq partners in Pakistan as it is against the law over there.

How can my girlfriend live here in Canada permanently with me?

What are the options that I can look into so her visitor visa doesnt require her to leave the country after the given time period?
link

Posted On: 9/24/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question with us, and congratulations on your future engagement.

Marriage in Canada is an option available to all Canadian citizens and permanent residents who want to marry a foreign partner. But if you and your partner are visiting from another country, you don’t need to be citizens to marry.

You will still need to meet the requirements of the province you choose to get married. Each province has its own requirements.You can find detailed information regarding applying for Canadian Citizenship in our Settlement.Org article, Can I Get Married in Canada on a Visitor Visa?

In terms of the option of starting a sponsorship from within Canada, you can look at the different conditions that need to be met for sponsorship in our How do I sponsor a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child from inside Canada? article.

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link