Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR card renewal on hold or lost? 

sabine
sabine

Posted On: 9/23/2021
sabine
sabine
Hello everyone,
My current PR card will expire in November. I applied for the renewal of the card in July. Back then, it said the processing time would be about 90-120 days, so I assumed this would be enough time. Since I still haven't heard back or received a confirmation letter that my application arrived, I tried to use the online tool to check the status of my application. It keeps on telling me that no application could be linked to the information I provided. I also called them, but they advised me that due to the Afghanistan crisis, they are not allowed to check the status of my application because all their efforts are going into applications from Afghanistan.
Now I am not even sure if my application arrived (unfortunately, I did not send it as registered mail).
It also says now that the processing time would be 133 days.
I have booked a flight to travel to Germany to visit my parents for Christmas. I am not sure if my PR card arrives on time.
I was told I could apply for PRTD, but I cannot find any information on processing times there either and need to be back by January 10 of 2022 for my job. Now I am worried that if I fly and rely on the PRTD application I cannot be back in time. But I also begin to doubt I will receive the PR card on time since they have apparently not even opened my application package.
Several questions:
1) It says on the homepage that the processing time begins once the application is received and complete. If my application still cannot be found in the online tool, dies this mean that they either have not received it at all or still have not opened the envelope? Would that mean my processing time has not even started yet? How can I find out if my application was received? Would it make sense to send another application asap with registered mail? Is it realistic that after two months they have not even opened the envelope or is it safe to say it got lost?
2) How can I find out hoe long it takes to receive the PRTD document? Will I be stuck in Germany for months if it does not arrive quickly? Also, it says in order to apply for the PRTD I need to provide my original passport and copies of all travel documents of the last 5 years (my current passport was renewed in 2017 and I do not have my old passport anymore or copies of it ... does that mean I cannot apply for PRTD?).
3) Is there any chance that I can re-enter Canada with an expired PR card when my renewal is in process?
Any other advise? Should I consider cancelling my flight?
Thanks in advance,
Sabine
link
behi
behi

Posted On: 10/16/2021
behi
behi
Hi. I and my wife applied for PR renewal in June 24 and sent both applications in a same envelope.
In October 8 my wife got received confirmation of Email from Vic and one week later her PR card. But I have not received neither Email nor PR yet.
Any suggestions for that?
Regards
link
sabine
sabine

Posted On: 10/18/2021
sabine
sabine
I have a similar timeline. Sent my application on June 24 and received confirmation on October 7 but no PR card. Might depend on whether or not they have to (randomly) check dates and information.
link

Posted On: 10/21/2021
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your questions with us.

• Application status

• The processing time begins on the date a complete application is received by Immigration Canada.

There are a number of reasons why you cannot access your application status through the Client Application Status tool.

There have been significant delays throughout the Immigration Canada processing offices caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and the effects are felt in all types of applications.

It is possible that the application has been received but it has not been opened/processed yet. As you are within the normal processing times, you need to wait until the application has been pending for longer than the processing times before following up.

If your application has been pending for longer than the posted processing time you can contact Immigration Canada via web form or by telephone. Without having proof that the application has been delivered, it is very difficult to know if the application was received by Immigration Canada.

If you decide to leave Canada before the application is processed and the card is mailed to you while you are abroad, you can ask your family or friends who live at that address to send you the PR card. You can then re-enter Canada with your PR Card. However, there are significant risks that arise with this option including the card being lost in the mail etc.

If you are genuinely concerned that your application has been lost, you can resubmit it and include a note that this is a replacement application.

• Documents Required to Travel to Canada

• Immigration Canada’s website clearly states that a traveller must possess either a valid Permanent Resident Card (“PR Card”) or a Permanent Resident Travel Document (“PRTD”). Airlines are required by the Government of Canada to ensure that each individual travelling to Canada presents a document approved for travel to Canada.

Please see the list of approved documents below as set out in Section 259 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations:

For the purposes of subsection 148(1) of the Act, the following documents that a person requires under the Act to enter Canada are prescribed:
    (a) a travel document referred to in subsection 31(3) of the Act [PR Travel document];
    (b) refugee travel papers issued by the Minister;
    (c) a document referred to in subsection 50(1) or 52(1) [passport or refugee travel document];
    (d) a temporary travel document referred to in section 151;
    (e) a visa referred to in section 6 or subsection 7(1);
    (f) a permanent resident card; and
    (g) an electronic travel authorization referred to in section 7.01 or 7.1.

Therefore, once you are outside Canada and do not have a valid PR card, you must have PRTD if you travel back to Canada on a commercial carrier.

• PRTD application

• A PRTD is a one-time travel document issued to Permanent Residents who are outside Canada and do not have a valid PR Card to return to Canada. A PRTD is issued to satisfy transportation companies that that an individual is allowed to travel to Canada as a permanent resident.

You can apply for a permanent resident travel document if you:

• are a permanent resident,
    • do not have a valid PR card showing your PR status,
    • are outside Canada, and
    • will return to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus.

To be eligible for a PRTD, you need to:

• prove who you are;
    • confirm your permanent resident status; and
    • meet the residency obligation of a permanent resident.

You will be required to complete certain forms and provide specific documents as listed and explained here: Applying for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (IMM 5529).

Past passports may be needed to support and prove the above requirements. Not providing all documents may affect your application for a PRTD. If you do not have a copy of a previous passport, you can still apply for a PRTD.

Generally, visa offices will work with applicants to provide a PRTD in a timely manner. You can always include proof of travel and request they process the application quickly. Please apply for the PRTD as soon as possible to give yourself the best chance of keeping your travel arrangements. Generally, you can expect processing times to range from 2-5 weeks. The processing time for PRTD varies and is based on several factors.

If your return flight to Canada is in less than six weeks, Immigration Canada recommends that you:

• mark your application “urgent”
    • provide your travel dates and flight itinerary when applying

You may wish to contact the visa office that will process your PRTD for further information.

Given the ongoing impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, it is possible that the Visa Application Center you need to submit your application to, may be closed. If so, you will need to submit your application online. Please see this page, Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Landed permanent residents and go to the section titled: “If you’re already outside Canada without a valid PR card”.

Please note that an application for a PRTD will be critically assessed. The officer at the visa office will review your application, determine if you meet the eligibility criteria and then, if you are eligible, issue you a PRTD.

You may wish talk to a qualified immigration lawyer about this or contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) directly to see if they have any information they can provide you.

Given the ongoing significant delays at Immigration Canada, unless the purpose of travel is mandatory, and/or you are willing to risk a longer processing time of your PRTD application, the most cautious path forward is to avoid travelling outside Canada until you have all necessary documents.

Finally, we noted that Canada has implemented travel restrictions to reduce the spread of COVID-19 that you must comply with. Up to date restrictions can be found here: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid.
    We hope that the information we provided is helpful to you. We would also recommend you to seek legal help from a lawyer or a licensed consultant familiar with Canadian immigration to find more information about your particular circumstances.

We hope this information is helpful, please let us know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer:

This document does not contain legal advice. This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC Western law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
    link
    Satske
    Satske

Posted On: 11/6/2021
    Satske
    Satske
    Pr card sent application 2019 received confirmation, but havent heard any . Anyone with same case, please help
    link
    sabine
    sabine

Posted On: 11/8/2021
    sabine
    sabine
    Good morning Satske,
    In your case it seems a straight forward answer: The homepage clearly states that if the processing time has passed and you still haven't received your PR card you are entitled to inquire about the status of your application (you are just not supposed to do so if the processing time has not passed). The current processing time is announced as 137 days, which clearly has passed a long time ago in your case. They have an email provided and a phone number. In your case you should probably go ahead and inquire about the status of your application. If you had any change of address you should also let them know.
    Good luck.
    link