Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Work Permit 

ForumUser
ForumUser

Posted On: 10/13/2021
ForumUser
ForumUser
Dear Settlement.org

I am a protected person and I have financial difficulties right now. My work permit expired by the time I knew I was supposed to renew it, it was three months too late. I lost my job during that time when I tried to look for the second job I found that the permit was expired. When I tried to apply for assistance they declined my application reasons expired SIN. What can I do to renew my permit? What are my options for work and financial assistance?
link

Posted On: 10/21/2021
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your questions with us.

After September 1, 2021, you can no longer restore your status if it expired more than 90 days ago. You cannot work until you get a new working permit.

You can find instructions on how to apply for a new working permit here. As a Protected Person, you are eligible for an open working permit. You may refer to our previous answer on what to do after working permit expires.

You can renew your SIN after you get your new working permit.

You may also apply for permanent residence as Protected Person. If you have permanent residence, you then have the right to work anywhere in Canada and you do not need a working permit. However, you still need to have a valid working permit before you fully get your permanent residence status.

For financial assistance, please feel free to browse our articles on assistance for refugees and other financial assistance options. Some programs such as Canada Child Benefit (CCB) and Ontario Child Benefit (OCB) do not require a SIN.

We hope that the information we provided is helpful to you. We would also recommend you seek legal help from a lawyer or a licensed consultant familiar with Canadian immigration to find more information about your particular circumstances.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer:

This document does not contain legal advice. This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC University of Toronto law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link