Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Sponsor Parents 

dabq75@hotmail.com
[email protected]

Posted On: 10/24/2021
Hi,

I was invited to apply for sponsoring my parents this year 2021. my wife (co-signer) and I didn't meet the income criteria for only one year, that was in 2008 income tax.

should we proceed to apply? or our application will not be approved?

Thank you
link
dabq75@hotmail.com
[email protected]

Posted On: 11/4/2021
Hi,

I was invited to apply for sponsoring my parents this year 2021. my wife (co-signer) and I didn't meet the income criteria for only one year, that's for 2018 income tax.

Thank you
link

Posted On: 11/16/2021
[email protected] wrote:
Hi,

I was invited to apply for sponsoring my parents this year 2021. my wife (co-signer) and I didn't meet the income criteria for only one year, that's for 2018 income tax.

Thank you

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your questions with us.

In order to be an eligible sponsor for your own parents, you must provide proof that you meet the income requirements for each of the 3 tax years before the date you apply (meaning that you need to have met the income requirements for 2020, 2019 and 2018). However, if you live in Quebec, the income requirements are different. The purpose of the income requirements is to demonstrate that you can financially support yourself and your family.
For the 2021 Parents and Grandparents program, sponsors will be assessed on their income for tax years 2020, 2019 and 2018. Thus, your income from 2008 is irrelevant in the assessment.
In case you meant to write “2018” instead of “2008”, the situation would be different. 2018 income would be included in assessing the income requirements. If the 2018 combined income of you and your co-signor does not meet the income requirement, then your application for sponsorship will not likely be approved.
You may also consult this page to make sure that you are calculating your required income correctly.
If your parents have exceptionally strong reasons to live in Canada, as set out in Section 25 (1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, your parents may request humanitarian and compassionate (H&C) consideration to overcome the requirement to have an eligible sponsor.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer:
This document does not contain legal advice. This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC Western law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link

Moderator wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Hi,

Thank you

Hello,

In order to be an eligible sponsor for your own parents, you must provide proof that you meet the income requirements for each of the 3 tax years before the date you apply (meaning that you need to have met the income requirements for 2020, 2019 and 2018). However, if you live in Quebec, the income requirements are different. The purpose of the income requirements is to demonstrate that you can financially support yourself and your family.

For the 2021 Parents and Grandparents program, sponsors will be assessed on their income for tax years 2020, 2019 and 2018. Thus, your income from 2008 is irrelevant in the assessment.
In case you meant to write “2018” instead of “2008”, the situation would be different. 2018 income would be included in assessing the income requirements. If the 2018 combined income of you and your co-signor does not meet the income requirement, then your application for sponsorship will not likely be approved.

You may also consult this page to make sure that you are calculating your required income correctly.
If your parents have exceptionally strong reasons to live in Canada, as set out in Section 25 (1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, your parents may request humanitarian and compassionate (H&C) consideration to overcome the requirement to have an eligible sponsor.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer:
This document does not contain legal advice. This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC Western law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link

[email protected] wrote:
Hi,

Thank you

Hello,

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer:
link