Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Will my stay of removal order affect my PR? 

dkang75
dkang75

Posted On: 12/18/2021
dkang75
dkang75
Hello,
I've been permanent resident of canada since 1994. I was convicted of crimes early 2000's and removal order was issued. I appealed and stay of removal order was issued back in 2010.
After all these years, I am trying to apply for pr card for the first time(not renewing) and I am wondering if I am qualified to apply for pr card. Its stated one must not be under an effective removal order to apply for pr card but I am not sure if that condition apply to me since stay of removal order was issued. hoping to get an answer before I apply.
Thank You!!
link
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Posted On: 12/20/2021
Admin
Admin
Administrator
dkang75 wrote:
Hello,
I've been permanent resident of canada since 1994. I was convicted of crimes early 2000's and removal order was issued. I appealed and stay of removal order was issued back in 2010.
After all these years, I am trying to apply for pr card for the first time(not renewing) and I am wondering if I am qualified to apply for pr card. Its stated one must not be under an effective removal order to apply for pr card but I am not sure if that condition apply to me since stay of removal order was issued. hoping to get an answer before I apply.
Thank You!!

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation.

According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, to be eligible for a PR Card, you must:
  • be a permanent resident of Canada;
  • be physically present in Canada;
  • meet the residency requirement;
  • not be under an effective removal order;
  • not be a Canadian citizen; and
  • not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR Card

Whether or not you are eligible might thus depend on whether the removal order is effective. You must also satisfy the other requirements.

You may want to contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation.

You can find the nearest one by using this tool here:

https://www.legalaid.on.ca/en/contact/contact.asp?type=cl

You might also consider contacting the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Call Centre directly to see if they have any information they can provide you.

You can contact them at:

1-888-242-2100 (In Canada Only)

You can also submit a case-specific enquiry:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any follow up questions, please feel free to post them to the discussion forum here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link