Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Is the 3-month OHIP waiting period waived? 

yscather
yscather

Posted On: 1/16/2022
yscather
yscather
My father-in-law is a Canadian citizen but has been "stuck" outside of Canada since the pandemic. He's lost his OHIP coverage. Now he's getting quite ill in Asia. Do you know if the 3-month OHIP waiting period can be waived upon his return so he can receive appropriate medical treatment in Canada?
link

Posted On: 1/18/2022
yscather wrote:
My father-in-law is a Canadian citizen but has been "stuck" outside of Canada since the pandemic. He's lost his OHIP coverage. Now he's getting quite ill in Asia. Do you know if the 3-month OHIP waiting period can be waived upon his return so he can receive appropriate medical treatment in Canada?

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

According to Service Ontario:
There is no longer a waiting period for OHIP coverage. If you are eligible, you will have immediate health insurance coverage.

If your father has an expired or an expiring health card, he may also continue to use that to access health services. If he does not have a health card, he may apply at a local Service Ontario centre.

You may also find information in the Settlement.Org article, What documents do I need to apply for a Health Card (OHIP)? and Who is eligible for OHIP? Feel free to also contact Service Ontario’s INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 for more information.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Jjote
Jjote

Posted On: 11/14/2022
Jjote
Jjote
My son left Ontario late 2018 for the Philippines. He is still there but wishes to return soon. His OHIP and drivers license expired 2021, but Canadian passport is still current. If he reapplies for OHIP upon arrival in Toronto, is there a waiting period before he gets it. He needs to apply for rapid reinstate of his ODSP as he has no other income other than the CPP disability pension.
link