Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

extend WP while waiting immigration PR decision 

felipemillhouse
felipemillhouse

Posted On: 1/28/2022
felipemillhouse
felipemillhouse
Hi all, I got an Ontario Nomination in January 2020, so in March of the same year I have applied for PR paper based, but I'm still waiting for the decision, almost 24 months after apply, and my work permit and family permits are expiring.

What should I do to extend it once I cannot go with Bridging Open Work Permit process because my permit is employment restriction as a condition of my nomination?

Can my wife work permit being extended trough Bridging Open Work Permit, get permit there is no restriction, what about my kid study permit?

Do you also know if I could do anything to check the real status of my process, 24 months waiting is not a reasonable wasting time right? I always get a generic answer from immigration.

Thank you
link

Posted On: 2/22/2022
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us. Please note that we have assumed that you have successfully submitted your paper-based PR application through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).

There are two ways to check the status of your application. First, you can use the online tool and it provides daily updates on your application status. Second, you can create an online account and link your paper application. By doing this, you will get the detailed application status in real time and the messages about your application online instead of by mail. More detailed information can be found here.

Since it has been almost 24 months since you submitted your application, we encourage that you also contact the IRCC as soon as possible through their web form.

Since you have the employment restriction as a condition of your nomination, you are not eligible for a Bridging Open Work Permit. You must apply to extend your current working permit before it expires. You will either need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or have your employer register the job offer through the employer portal and qualify via the International Mobility Program (IMP).

If your wife also applied for PR through the PNP without an employment restriction and has received a positive eligibility assessment (a PNP Certificate and the AOR), she should be eligible for a Bridging Open Work Permit. Also, she needs to meet the general eligibility requirements for a work permit.

If your child is a minor and currently lives in Canada, they do not need a study permit to attend pre-school, primary school, or secondary school if a parent is allowed to work in Canada. However, should you wish to travel, then we recommend getting a Study Permit for the child. Detailed information on studying in Canada as a minor can be found here.

We hope that this general information is helpful and we recommend that you seek legal help from a lawyer or a licensed consultant familiar with Canadian immigration to obtain assistance about your particular circumstances.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer:
This document does not contain legal advice. This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC University of Toronto law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link