Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Residency Obligation for PR Accompanying Canadian 

Wanderer
Wanderer

Posted On: 3/18/2022
Wanderer
Wanderer
Why is there so much confusion over whether a PR who is living with a Canadian citizen abroad should have time counted toward RO? CBSA guidance says that it doesn’t matter who accompanies whom and yet many PR lose status because it is later determined that they might have gone abroad with Canadian citizen spouse, may have lives with same spouse ever day, but we’re somehow not accompanying them.
link

Posted On: 3/31/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You may be interested in IRCC’s Physical Presence Calculator as a resource to help you calculate the physical presence requirement. The FAQ section has examples and scenarios that are particularly helpful. Whether or not you will be granted entry will be up to the CBSA officer. “There are a number of reasons you can be found inadmissible, denied a visa or refused entry to Canada.”

Passport stamps can be proof of entry and duration of stay. You may find the following articles helpful in this calculation:

"If you are outside Canada for extended periods of time, you can accumulate residency days if you are:
  • Travelling with a Canadian spouse or common-law partner, or are a child under 19 years of age accompanying a parent, or
  • Employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or the Public Service of Canada and are assigned a position outside of Canada, or
  • The spouse, common-law partner or child of a permanent resident who is outside Canada and who is employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or the Public Service of Canada.

It may also be helpful to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form to get advice specific to your situation. Or to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for further help and information.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Ramya
Ramya

Posted On: 7/4/2022
Ramya
Ramya
Hi,
My husband added me in his ongoing pr application .He had received a mail asking to submit photo .My name is not added in the dependent list.We have already informed ircc through webform after we got married but ircc has not added my name in the list of dependents.Will I get a separate mail to provide my photos?
link