Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR Card Renewal- outside Canada 

Envisenvis
Envisenvis

Posted On: 3/27/2022
Envisenvis
Envisenvis
I am a permanent resident who lives outside of Canada but I meet the 730 days of stay in Canada required to renew my PR Card . My PR card expires in 6 months. Can I come to Canada to apply, and return back to Canada when my new Card is ready for delivery? I actually have a residential address at a relative’s apartment in Toronto? Is it a must that a person should be physically present in Canada while the application is being processed?
link

Posted On: 4/20/2022
Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

We spoke to a representative at IRCC who confirmed that you must be physically present in Canada to submit your application for PR renewal. The card will also need to be mailed to a Canadian address. Without an address in your name, you may instead wish to use a family address to mail your card.

You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?. Here is an excerpt:
As a permanent resident, you may travel outside Canada after you arrive. However, you must meet certain residency obligations to maintain your status as a permanent resident.
To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years.

This means that you can spend a total of up to 3 years outside of Canada during a 5-year period. However, if you have been a permanent resident for less than 5 years and decide to leave the country for an extended period of time, it is up to you to prove to IRCC that you will be able to meet your residency requirements.

It sounds like you have already met your residency requirement to maintain PR status. For information or advice specific to your situation, you may also want to submit a case-specific inquiry using IRCC’s web form.

It may be best to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration issues and family law for advice regarding your situation. To find a community legal clinic in your area, visit Services Near Me.

For further reading, you may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?, Should I get help with my immigration application from an immigration consultant or lawyer? and Frequently Asked Questions about the Permanent Resident Card.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link