Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Health Coverage under CUAET 

ANM
ANM

Posted On: 4/7/2022
ANM
ANM
Hello,

I am in communication with a relative in Ukraine who is considering coming to Canada through the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel. This relative has a child with special medical needs and would require health coverage upon arrival.

I see on the settlement.org site that Ukrainians arriving through the CUAET are eligible for OHIP and drug benefits. However, when I spoke to Service Canada I was told that emergency authorization only permits travel to Canada, without designating the status under which you are here. Since people with visitor status don't appear to qualify for OHIP, I was wondering whether exceptions were specifically being made for CUAET, or whether applicants needed to request a special status while applying.

Thank you!
link

Posted On: 4/12/2022
ANM wrote:
Hello,

I am in communication with a relative in Ukraine who is considering coming to Canada through the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel. This relative has a child with special medical needs and would require health coverage upon arrival.

I see on the settlement.org site that Ukrainians arriving through the CUAET are eligible for OHIP and drug benefits. However, when I spoke to Service Canada I was told that emergency authorization only permits travel to Canada, without designating the status under which you are here. Since people with visitor status don't appear to qualify for OHIP, I was wondering whether exceptions were specifically being made for CUAET, or whether applicants needed to request a special status while applying.

Thank you!

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question.

I spoke with an operator at Service Ontario, and you should be able to apply for OHIP with this status document. Under the remark and observations section or the conditions section of your status document, there will be a CUAET code they can use to grant coverage to folks who come to Canada through the CUAET pathway. I hope this information is helpful, if you have case-specific questions feel free to contact the Service Ontario INFOline directly at 1-800-664-8988.

Please feel free to also follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link