Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Urgent Land crossing with expired PR card 

IsabelUK48
IsabelUK48

Posted On: 4/26/2022
IsabelUK48
IsabelUK48
Hello,
I really hope someone can provide advice! I am a permanent resident of Canada but stupidly let my PR card expire while out of the country for a family emergency. I have read that I could potentially bypass the PRTD requirement by travelling to the US and crossing the border in a private vehicle. Can anyone shed light on whether I'm likely to be allowed across the border if I do this? My PR card expired a few days ago, I can show my Ontario driver's licence and health card. I do not have any original landing documents with me but could provide proof of employment (eg. Job offer letter, pay statements) on my phone.
Thank you so much in advance!
link

Posted On: 4/30/2022
IsabelUK48 wrote:
Hello,
I really hope someone can provide advice! I am a permanent resident of Canada but stupidly let my PR card expire while out of the country for a family emergency. I have read that I could potentially bypass the PRTD requirement by travelling to the US and crossing the border in a private vehicle. Can anyone shed light on whether I'm likely to be allowed across the border if I do this? My PR card expired a few days ago, I can show my Ontario driver's licence and health card. I do not have any original landing documents with me but could provide proof of employment (eg. Job offer letter, pay statements) on my phone.
Thank you so much in advance!

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You will still need to provide travel documentation to enter Canada at the U.S. border. Based on information on the IRCC website, your mother will likely need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to return to Canada.

According to the IRCC Help Centre article What happens if my permanent resident card expires while I am outside Canada?:
If you’re outside Canada and don’t have a valid PR card, you need a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada. You can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada. If you try to return to Canada without a PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to take your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

It is also worth noting that not meeting your PR residency requirements doesn’t mean an automatic loss in PR status, you may want to speak to a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer about travelling back to Canada without a valid PR card. You may also find helpful information in the discussion forum thread How to calculate days for PRTD application?

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here. You may also want to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form to get more details about her specific application and what kind of supporting documents she may require.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link