Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Plugged Kitchen Sink 

margaretk
margaretk

Posted On: 5/2/2022
margaretk
margaretk
In my lease a signed with a clause that stated I have to pay for any plumbing repair to do with this sink. It is now clogged and we have to call a plumber to unclog it. Someone told me the landlord can’t do this. Is this true?
link

Posted On: 5/20/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this situation, we appreciate your interest in this information.

According to StepstoJustice:

It is your landlord's job to repair and maintain your home. Your landlord must fix or replace anything that is in bad condition or does not work properly.

This includes things that came with your place, such as appliances like a fridge or stove. It also includes common areas, like parking lots, elevators, and hallways.

It doesn't matter if your lease or rental agreement says something different. It doesn't matter if you knew about the problem when you agreed to rent the place. The law says your landlord is responsible.

It is best that you contact a community legal clinic for some advice regarding your situation. You may also wish to call the Landlord and Tenant Board at 1-888-332-3234 or 416-645-8080 (in the GTA) for information specific to your situation. The landlord and tenant board resolves disputes between residential landlords and tenants.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service.

Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link