Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR Renewal - Unmet Residency Obligation COVID 

as197ha
as197ha

Posted On: 5/4/2022
as197ha
as197ha
hi there!

My parents received their PR in 2017 and landed in Canada in Sep 2017 and stayed for 1 year (365+ days). They returned to India in Sep 2018 with intention to return later in 2020, however, they were unable to due to COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and fear of travel in general. They finally arrived in Dec 2021. Since PR is due renewal in Sep-Oct 2022, they will not meet residency obligation and fall short by few days.

Please advise if there is any flexibility Immigration Canada is extending due to COVID travel restrcitions or if there are alternate ways/processes to follow for PR Renewal..

thanks,
link

Posted On: 5/20/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

It is best that you seek the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration law for advice regarding your situation. IRCC may take humanitarian and compassionate reasons into consideration for your parent's extended stay outside Canada. However, this is up to IRCC and it would be best for you to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form to get more details about their specific application and what kind of supporting documents you may require.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Tarry65
Tarry65

Posted On: 8/17/2022
Tarry65
Tarry65
Hi there,
I am also in similar situation. Did you this issue resolved. My mom is short on 20 days as she got stuck in india due to covid.
link