Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR card renewal 110+ days 

DonnaLouise
DonnaLouise

Posted On: 6/15/2022
DonnaLouise
DonnaLouise
Hi There!
My PR card has expired while I wait for my citizenship (applied in July 2021 AOR October 2021) so I sent it off for renewal received March 4 2022 however it has said decision made for 2 months now with no further updates, current renewal time is 60 days and I’m over 110 days, I’m so frustrated and every time I call I spend 5 minutes entering in my app and UCI and going through the menus to just be told they can’t accept calls - does anyone have a similar time frame? I really want to travel and was completely understand about citizenship taking a long time (2019 applicants should be cleared asap)
Any advice?
link

Posted On: 6/30/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

Without a valid PR Card, if you need to urgently travel, you can apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to return to Canada. Usually, a Travel Document can only be used once. You may want to read more about travelling without a PR card in this Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do? and the responses on the discussion forum thread, PR card renewal on hold.

Here is an excerpt:
The only official documents that permanent residents of Canada can use to travel back to Canada on a commercial carrier (by air, land or sea) are the PR card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), also known as a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) issued by a Canadian visa office abroad.

If you are entering Canada in a private vehicle, such as your own car, and you do not present your PR card, you may be able to show other immigration documents.

If you are outside of Canada or plan to leave Canada and have immigration questions, you may want to contact the IRCC Call Centre or use their web form for advice and to confirm this information. You may also want to contact a Lawyer or a reputable, registered Immigration Consultant for some advice and assistance with this process.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link