Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeFinding a Place to Live

Finding housing, buying a house, landlord/tenant rights.

housing 

capper55
capper55

Posted On: 6/17/2022
capper55
capper55
looking into housing as my husband as dementia and had to retire earlier than expected. we are on the wait-list for low income housing which can take years. I am only 57 and a long way from retirement but my husband will need support in the home possible in a few yrs.can we both move somewhere that gives him some support while i am at work.
capper55
link

Posted On: 6/30/2022
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

It may be best that you connect with housing assistance services near you. Community agencies that provide housing assistance services will be able to support you in finding suitable accommodation for the short-term and long-term. It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

You may also find helpful information on housing in the Settlement.Org articles, How can I look for rental housing? and How can I apply for subsidized housing?.

Settlement.Org also has a Financial Assistance section, where you can find information on various government programs and financial supports you may be eligible for. Specifically, the articles What financial assistance is available for seniors? and What help can seniors get to continue living at home? may be of relevance.

A number of settlement services are providing intake appointments online and over the phone to support clients remotely. You may want to connect with a settlement agency that provides employment services using our Services Near Me section or contact 211 again. Settlement agencies can also help you find financial assistance options.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Settlement.Org Team
link