Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Only allowed to do laundry once a week 

Jgajjar
Jgajjar

Posted On: 7/9/2022
Jgajjar
Jgajjar
Hello,

I recently moved to Canada so I'm unaware of the rental rules. My landlord currently doesn't share their kitchen which I was aware
of but I rented the place since I needed one urgently. I'm paying monthly utilities but now they have told me I'm only allowed to do my laundry on either Saturday or Sunday and on a certain time which like 4-8. And they said I can only use the washing machine once meaning I can only load as many as I can only once. What if I spill something over or need to wash something in emergency and they lock the room where the machine is placed. I've confronted them about this but they say this is normal everywhere. Is it though? Please let me know.

Thanks.
link

Posted On: 7/31/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us. We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation.
In terms of the situation you have described, it is best that you contact a community legal clinic for some advice regarding your situation. You may also wish to call the Landlord and Tenant Board at 1-888-332-3234 or 416-645-8080 (in the GTA) for information specific to your situation. The landlord and tenant board resolves disputes between residential landlords and tenants.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.
I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link