Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Would property companies need to tour my property? 

TST687
TST687

Posted On: 9/15/2022
TST687
TST687
I’m just posting this out of curiosity. The house made into apts I live in was recently sold, they did the inspection, buyers walked through and all that.the company that bought it is Starlight and they have others invested in the property etc. It’s months later and I got told that Starlight will be taking a “tour” of the property, not in the lived in units and that the day before this there would be a pre-inspection but no other details could be disclosed. I’m just curious the reasoning for this as the building was seen numerous times and inspected prior to being purchased. So the curious cat that I am I’d like any feedback from anyone who’s dealt with this company or have any idea why this may be

Thanks
link

Posted On: 10/31/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us. We hope that community can offer insight on their experiences with regards to this. We would like to echo your sentiments that any landlord must first give proper notice to enter your unit. Here is an excerpt from the Steps to Justice article, Can my landlord come in to my place whenever they want?:

Some landlords might not know that tenants have a right to privacy. They might think they have the right to come in whenever they want to because they are the owner or they work for the owner.

You can tell your landlord you expect them to follow the rules about giving you notice and about when they can come into your place. Showing legal information about this to your landlord may help convince them to respect your privacy rights.

If an employee or contractor is coming into your place, you might want to ask the company or the owner to make sure everyone who works for them respects your rights and follows the rules.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any follow up questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link