Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeFinding a Job / Working

Finding a Job, Job Listings, Labour Market Information (LMI), Starting a Business, Social Insurance Number, Volunteering...

Volunteer Requirements 

AndreaV
AndreaV

Posted On: 11/18/2022
AndreaV
AndreaV
A client told me that he tried to apply for volunteer work at 2 different places and both told him that he needs a SIN. I found this unusual. Is a SIN now a requirement to volunteer? Looking forward to your response!
Thanks,
Andrea
link

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and concern with us, we appreciate your interest in this kind of information.

A SIN is not a legal requirement to volunteer in Ontario. It may be helpful to reach out to a volunteer centre while searching for a placement. Volunteer centres help match you with organizations that need volunteers. You can find a list of volunteer centres here: http://ovcn.ca/volunteering/find-my-volunteer-centre

We hope this information is helpful, please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
AndreaV
AndreaV

AndreaV
AndreaV
Thank you for the quick response. I will share this information with my client and encourage them to use our local resource (pillarnonprofit) for volunteer postings. Hopefully organizations posting opportunities through a volunteer centre will be more up to date on the rights and responsibilities related to volunteering. This is good news for people who want to make the most of their time while they await Work Permit and SIN.
Thanks Again!
Andrea

Moderator wrote:
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and concern with us, we appreciate your interest in this kind of information.

A SIN is not a legal requirement to volunteer in Ontario. It may be helpful to reach out to a volunteer centre while searching for a placement. Volunteer centres help match you with organizations that need volunteers. You can find a list of volunteer centres here: http://ovcn.ca/volunteering/find-my-volunteer-centre

We hope this information is helpful, please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link