Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Sponsoring my 18 year old while not in Canada 

ShunHing
ShunHing

Posted On: 12/2/2022
ShunHing
ShunHing
Hi Team:
I am a Canadian Citizen ( inherited from my father) currently staying outside of Canada.
Q1) Is that true under the first generation rule, my kids are not Canadian?
Q2) If I want to file a sponsorship application to let them to obtain permanent resident, can I make the application outside Canada? Do I need to stay in Canada until they obtained their citizenship?

Thank You
Shun Hing
link

Posted On: 12/20/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You may find helpful and relevant information in the discussion forum thread, Can I claim citizenship by heritage? Here is an excerpt:
You are indeed likely already a Canadian Citizen because of the fact that you have one parent who is a Canadian Citizen, but in order to prove this, you can apply for a citizenship certificate, which is the formal way to officially find out if you are a citizen. If you go to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website and specifically take a look at the page entitled Guide for Paper Applications for a Citizenship Certificate for Adults and Minors (Proof of Citizenship) under Section 3 (CIT 0001), you will find an explanation of the step by step process you will need to take in order to apply for a citizenship certificate.

According to IRCC, you are likely a citizen if you were born outside Canada and at least 1 of your parents (legal parent at birth or biological parent) either was born in Canada, or became a naturalized citizen before you were born.
The article, How do I sponsor a spouse, common-law, or conjugal partner or dependent child while living outside of Canada, might be particularly helpful in your case. You can apply for sponsorship while living abroad as long as you meet the eligibility criteria outlined in the article. There are a number of ways one can prove their intent to live in Canada, things like a property rental agreement, job offer in intended location or proof of looking for employment, will function as proof you intend to live in Canada with your family.

It may also be helpful to seek the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer about your situation. To find a community legal clinic in your area, visit Services Near Me.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link