Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Tax Filing for Canada Citizenship 

durgaprakash
durgaprakash

Posted On: 1/13/2023
durgaprakash
durgaprakash
we got our PR in 2018 done landing stayed for month and left. Later moved to Canada in 2020 and have been filing taxes in canada since 2020. Filed tax returns in 2021 and 2022, waiting to file returns in 2023. We just attained 1095 days to apply for citizenship, do we have to wait till we file tax returns in 2023 or can apply for citizenship.

If i can file can i mark taxes filed for 2020 and 2021 as yes and for 2022 as no and place a justification letter saying i have been paying taxes for 2022 and will file returns as and when filing date opens.

Thank you
link

Posted On: 1/31/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

According to IRCC's application guide about applying for citizenship:
Filing income tax:
You may need to file taxes in Canada for at least 3 years during the 5 years right before the date you apply.
Find out if you need to file your taxes

You may want to contact the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Client Support Centre directly to see if they can provide some clarification and information specific to your situation.

We hope this information is helpful. Please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link