Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeFinding a Place to Live

Finding housing, buying a house, landlord/tenant rights.

Co-signing for an apartment 

Gally
Gally

Posted On: 2/22/2023
Gally
Gally
Hi, I want to cosign for a family member in Ontario for an apartment, but I was told I need to own a home in order to be a cosigner.
I do not own a home, and I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is a legit requirement? I highly doubt it is so I'm wondering why I was told this by the property management. Thank you in advance!
link

Posted On: 2/28/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, Do I need a guarantor or co-signer? Here is an excerpt:
A landlord might ask you for a guarantor or co-signer if they think you may not have enough money to pay the rent, or that you may move out before the lease is over. However, a landlord should not use these requirements in a way that is discriminatory and violates the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you don’t know anyone who will agree be your guarantor or co-signer, you need to convince the landlord that you are a responsible person and that you have enough money to pay the rent every month. Read What documents do landlords ask for? for acceptable proof that you can show.

It may be helpful for you to connect with legal or housing assistance services near you. Community agencies that provide housing assistance services will be able to support you in finding suitable accommodation for the short-term and long-term. It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. You may also find information on where to find rental housing in the Settlement.Org article, How can I look for rental housing?

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link