Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Sheriff is coming. 

Abt2bhmlesswthkids
Abt2bhmlesswthkids

Posted On: 5/19/2023
Hello,
I’m experiencing extreme financial hardship and have been for the past year now.
I had 2 months of my rent for June and July of 2022stolen from me by my youngest son.
I haven’t paid rent in a year now due to unforeseen and unfortunate circumstances.

Inside of a year my subsidiary geared to income housing landlord never contacted me once to speak about the situation.

I also never contacted her due to not having the money and not knowing what to do about it. I was and am going through very traumatic abusive situations in my life.

In September of 2022 I received a notic from tribunal in my email.

I ended up working out a rent repayment agreement for the arrears.

In October of 2022 I had a family emergency and now got set back extremely .

I was and am barely coping with life day to day and I shut down.

Unbeknownst to myself in march of 2023 I had a hearing with the tribunal.

I received information about the hearing in my post box which I never check unless expecting something due to the fact that I receive all correspondence ie: bills and such through my email.

At the beguiling of April I was expecting post mail and checked my
POBOX to find the hearing had already taken place and judgement made to evict by order
Of the sheriff!

Residing within the Home is myself and two sons aged 21 and 17.

I have recently run out of my ei and no longer have income.

I have been mentally exhausted and literally on the brink of breakdown.

I have no money or options at this point because I’ve exhausted my credit.

The sheriff is due to my residence on may 24 2023 to evict.

I
Don’t know what I can do at this point but feel it was unfair to have never received a proper notice of the tribunal hearing.
I would have fairly had the chance to explain the situation and possibly resolve the non payment issue had I been given the correct notice of hearing.

I do not have money to move my belongings and I also do not have anywhere to go.

I’ve lived here for 10 years.
I am just go through the hiring process of a very respectable job and feel like being homeless with my sons is going to be detrimental to my performance at work.

At this point I’m mentally and physically exhausted to the point of giving up.

I don’t know what to do.

I also have nosy support system in my life. I have no friends and family to help me in any way.

What can I do about this nightmare?
link
Abt2bhmlesswthkids
Abt2bhmlesswthkids

Also I forgot to mention, with the family emergency that I had to deal with in October I was out of town and at a hospital and did not submit my required renewal paperwork. As a result landlord put my rent to $1400/month and the after march 29 2023 $46/day
link
Abt2bhmlesswthkids
Abt2bhmlesswthkids

Also I forgot to mention, with the family emergency that I had to deal with in October I was out of town and at a hospital and did not submit my required renewal paperwork. As a result landlord put my rent to $1400/month and the after march 29 2023 $46/day no mercy the housing worker didn’t even consider that after 10 years of living in my rental unit with no issues at all with rent or anything of the sort. She could’ve worked with me not against me.

I have no clue of how I’m getting my stuff moved I have no money to move anything out of the house.
No money for storage or anything .

Supposed to start a new job and be homeless.
I am a mess.
link

Posted On: 5/24/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

It is best that you contact a community legal clinic for some advice regarding your situation. You may also wish to call the Landlord and Tenant Board at 1-888-332-3234 or 416-645-8080 (in the GTA) for information specific to your situation. The landlord and tenant board resolves disputes between residential landlords and tenants. Steps to Justice also has a compiled list of programs and services for helping housing law that may be helpful.

211 would be able to help narrow your search. If you have not been able to connect with a community resource navigator over the phone, you may want to try using their online chat service. If you are looking for support with the application process, you may want to request services that offer assistance completing forms and applications.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

While caring for family, it is essential to also care for yourself. You made a good first step by reaching out, and we hope that you continue to reach out for support when you feel this way. You may want to contact 211 and speak to a Community Resource Navigator about refer community support and mental health services in your area.

Here are some resources from the Settlement.Org article, Where can I get help with my mental health?:
Find a Mental Health Professional
  • Mental Health Helpline - This free, confidential phone line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They provide information about mental health services in Ontario. Information is available in over 170 languages. Information by email or web chat is also available.
  • Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) - CMHA offers many different kinds of mental health services. You can find a local branch by searching by province or postal code.

There are more options listed in the article, feel free to browse for information. 211 will be able to help tailor your options to your location and specific needs. We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link