Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Travel to USA with expired PR card by own vehicle. 

honorly2015
honorly2015

Posted On: 6/15/2023
honorly2015
honorly2015
My PR card will expire in end of June 2023. I've applied for a new one but 3 months ago but I haven't received a new one yet. I have booked a travel to USA in mid July and planning to travel by my own car. Can I still leave Canada and comeback to Canada with expired PR card ? I have my Canadian driver's license, OHIP, and valid passport from home country where it doesn't require to have Canadian visa to enter. Thank you.
link

Posted On: 6/28/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

An expired PR card is not a sufficient travel document. You would need a valid PR card to enter Canada through the US. However, you may apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) (IMM 5529). This would be the only way to enter Canada without a valid PR card as a permanent resident. You can learn more about the application process and what documents are required here in the applying for a PRTD guide.

IRCC may take humanitarian and compassionate reasons into consideration for your extended stay outside of Canada. However, this is up to IRCC and it would be best for you to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form to get more details about your specific application and what kind of supporting documents you may require.

You may also want the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration law for advice regarding your situation.

Whether or not you will be granted entry will be up to the CBSA officer. “There are a number of reasons you can be found inadmissible, denied a visa or refused entry to Canada.” You may also wish to contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Call Centre directly to see if they have any information they can provide you.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link