Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

N9 notice clarification. 

Samiam99
Samiam99

Posted On: 7/7/2023
Samiam99
Samiam99
Hello,

I am moving out of an apartment due to a smoking neighbour. Landlord attempted to correct issue however the cigarette smell and smokes still lingers into our apartment and we can’t stand it.

I am on a yearly rental agreement and pay the first of each month.

I provided an N9 notice 01/07/2023 I accidentally set the last day of my tenancy as 02/09/2023 when it should have been earlier and 31/08/2023. Landlord informed me today that the termination date must be last day of rental period.

I sent an amended N9 today with the last day of tenancy as 31/08/2023. Is there any issue here since in my original N9 I gave extra days of notice then actually required?
link

Posted On: 7/21/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

It may be best that you contact a community legal clinic for some advice regarding your situation. You may also wish to call the Landlord and Tenant Board at 1-888-332-3234 or 416-645-8080 (in the GTA) for information specific to your situation. The landlord and tenant board resolves disputes between residential landlords and tenants. Steps to Justice also has a compiled list of programs and services in housing law that may be helpful.

211 would be able to help narrow your search. If you have not been able to connect with a community resource navigator over the phone, you may want to try using their online chat service. If you are looking for support with the application process, you may want to request services that offer assistance completing forms and applications.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link