Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Super Visa requirements for my mom- I am on ODSP 

Shiza Ali
Shiza Ali

Posted On: 7/13/2023
Shiza Ali
Shiza Ali
I am a 20 year old stroke survivor and Canadian citizen, moved to Canada in June 2022. I am on ODSP due to severe disability. My mother is in Pakistan and she applied twice for TRV but her visa got rejected. How can I send invitation letter to her to apply for super visa to visit me? Her TRVs have been rejected earlier as her ex-husband(my father) applied for a refugee claim in 2003(including her). She is a working lady and has traveled to more than 11 countries in past 10 years including USA. please guide as i need to see my mother and i am not well.

I have checked CIC website which only says that ODSP is not restricted from applying super visa however there is no process or details defined on the webpage. Pease guide for the correct procedure that her super visa is not rejected .
link

Posted On: 7/27/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing this question and situation with us.

In terms of whether or not you are eligible to sponsor someone while receiving social assistance, you are not eligible to sponsor anyone to come to Canada, not even your children, while you are receiving regular welfare/social assistance benefits.

However, if you receive disability benefits or ODSP, you can apply to sponsor eligible family members. If you are looking for more information on Sponsorship, you may find Settlement.Org article How can I sponsor a family member to immigrate to Canada? to be helpful. Still, it is best that you reach out to a lawyer or registered immigration consultant for advice in this situation.

You may find helpful information on how to find a reputable and registered lawyer or immigration consultant in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer? and What other kinds of legal help can I get?. The Steps to Justice "Services in Ontario - Getting legal help in Immigration law" page also has a list of free to low cost services.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this is helpful, please reach out to us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link