Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

OHIP for family of TFW 

blueleafy
blueleafy

Posted On: 7/14/2023
blueleafy
blueleafy
Hi,

I'm a temporary foreign worker with OHIP coverage. Now, my family is coming soon to join me in Canada under the visitor status, with the assumption to get a visitor record after about 5 months. How can I get them coverage under OHIP?

After calling to the ServiceOntario hotline, I was told that they have to be "dependents" under work permit. I do remember filling out the form for the IRCC when applying for the Work Permit, but they are not listed on the actual physical work permit. Does that mean that they are not eligible for coverage?

Thank you
link

Posted On: 7/27/2023
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be frustrated with this confusion.

According to the Ministry of Health's website, you must provide:

"Family member's passport with an admission stamp cross-referenced to the foreign worker's work permit"

Ministry of Health staff can help you determine if you are eligible for Ontario health coverage. Call the ministry INFOline:
  • In Ontario:1-866-532-3161
  • In Toronto: 416-314-5518
  • TTY: 1-800-387-5559
Hours of operation: 8:30 AM - 5 PM. You can also email the ministry through this contact form.

You can contact Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) through their contact web form to help correct any errors on your or your family's documents.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link