Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Will a spouse of a COPR holder need a visa? 

sagar
sagar

Posted On: 7/30/2023
sagar
sagar
Hello,

My wife received her confirmation of PR (outland). When she applied for PR, she had mentioned me as a non-accompanying dependent.

So I don't have the visa. She is planning to move to Canada in the month of November.

I want to travel with her initially to help her get settled there. I'm planning to apply for Visitor visa. Can anyone please assist me what is the right way to do it?

Note: She has not yet moved to Canada, she has the Confirmation of PR (She is not a permanent resident yet). I want to travel with her and be there for few days.

Questions:
1. Under what kind of category should I apply for visa ? Like visa for "Tourist purpose" or "To meet family member"?
2. Is she elegible to provide me an invitation letter (she is not a PR holder yet, she just has recieved Co PR)?

link

Posted On: 8/31/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

In this case, it is best that you consult a lawyer or immigration consultant regarding immigration pathways to visit your wife. You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer? and What other kinds of legal help can I get? on how toreputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We unfortunately cannot provide immigration advice on Settlement.Org, however we do have articles and general information on immigrating to Ontario, permanent residence, and pathways to citizenship. We hope this information is helpful and wish you both the best of luck.
Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link