Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Renew PR Card and proof of residency 

ninetteka
ninetteka

Posted On: 8/1/2023
ninetteka
ninetteka
Hi,

My mother is 82 years old and her PR card expired 1 year ago (July 2022).
She received her PR on July 5, 2017, then she went to back to Indonesia on July 10 2017. Covid hit and she finally was able to come back to Canada on July 6, 2020.

I am planning to renew her PR. Now its Aug 1 2023, and based on my calculation, she meets the residency obligation in the past 5 years. She has been here for over 3 years (more than 730 days).

I read the Guide IMM 5445 but I am not really clear. She has been a permanent resident for 5 years or more.

My questions :

1. Does she still need to provide a proof showing that she meet the residency obligation?
2. if yes, she does not have any supporting documents that listed in Appendix A.
She lives with me, I cover all her expenses, etc, so she does not have employment records, CRA , rental agreement, club membership and she does not take any benefits from Canadian goverment.
what would be "any other documents" that she can show that she lives here? she has a bank account - but I just opened for her recently, she goes to see the family doctor pretty regular for check-ups, etc, but I am not sure how to show this either to the goverment.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html#appendixA
Any input or help is highly appreciated.

Thank you so much!!

NN.
link

Posted On: 8/31/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

It is best that you consult a lawyer or immigration consultant regarding immigration pathways to visit your wife. You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer? and What other kinds of legal help can I get? on how to find a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer.

You may be interested in IRCC’s Physical Presence Calculator as a resource to help you calculate the physical presence requirement. The FAQ section has examples and scenarios that are particularly helpful. Whether or not you will be granted entry will be up to the CBSA officer. “There are a number of reasons you can be found inadmissible, denied a visa or refused entry to Canada.”

Passport stamps can be used as proof of entry and duration of stay. You may find the following articles helpful in this calculation:
"If you are outside Canada for extended periods of time, you can accumulate residency days if you are:
  • Travelling with a Canadian spouse or common-law partner, or are a child under 19 years of age accompanying a parent, or
  • Employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or the Public Service of Canada and are assigned a position outside of Canada, or
  • The spouse, common-law partner or child of a permanent resident who is outside Canada and who is employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or the Public Service of Canada.

It may also be helpful to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form to get advice specific to your situation.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link