Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Applying for a SIN Number after a long absence 

edinburgherincanada
edinburgherincanada

Posted On: 8/7/2023
Hello there,

My husband myself received our PR cards in 2019 and completed our soft landing in June 2019. The plan was to sell our property, tie up our loose ends and emigrate in Spring 2020. When Covid hit my husband decided he could no longer go through with the move. I was disappointed but tried to accept it. I still want to emigrate to Canada however and have decided to try to get back in and move there alone. Unfortunately I only have 17 months left on my PR card and know that I cannot fulfill the minimum stay of 2 years out of 5. So my intention is to try to get back into Canada with my UK passport via the US border, as I can pass through a land border this way without a visa apparently. I hope to stay and work (I'm self employed) and not leave Canada then for 2 years so that I can then apply to renew my PR card. Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight 4 years ago to apply for my SIN number. I'm now worried that when I do get back into Canada and apply for my SIN they will see that I became a PR 4 years ago and have left it a very long time to apply for the number. I'm worried that they will then check out exactly how long I have been present and alert immigration and I'll be ordered to leave.
Should I just come to terms with the fact I'm never going to be able to settle there now as I've left it too long or do you think I still have a chance to stay there and retain my PR status and get my SIN number without them checking how long I've spent in the country?
Sorry for the long post, but this issue just keeps going around and around in my head and I don't know who else to ask. Many thanks in advance.
link

Posted On: 8/31/2023
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

It is best that you contact Service Canada directly for case-specific information and advice in this situation. I'm sure that you are not alone, and that this has happened before - so they will be able to advise you best. Still, if you have concerns you may also wish to speak with a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice.

Here is the contact information for Service Canada:

Canada Toll-free: 1-800-206-7218 (select option "3")
Canada TTY: 1-800-926-9105
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. local time
Closed statutory holidays.

Service Canada is now issuing SINs in paper format (confirmation of SIN letter). Production of the plastic SIN card has stopped, however, SIN cards that are not expired and are currently in circulation can still be used.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link