Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Private insurance 

utopia
utopia

Posted On: 8/8/2023
utopia
utopia
Hi,

My wife and I completed the landing process last year ( April, 2022 ) and moved back to our home country soon after that.
Due to our short stay, we didn't apply for OHIP then.

We are undergoing fertility treatment and plan to move to Canada probably during second trimester of pregnancy. That would mean that we won't be covered under OHIP until we live 153 days in Canada. In this context, could you please recommend a solution on the lines of private insurance or any other means of availing insurance that would cover pregnancy and hospitalization ?

Thanks.
link

Posted On: 8/31/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, Who is eligible for OHIP? Here is an excerpt about some of the eligibility requirements:
You must be able to answer "yes" to each of these statements:
  • Your principal home is in Ontario.
  • You were not away from Ontario for more than 30 days during the first 6 months that you lived here. That means you must be in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days that you live in Ontario.
  • You are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period.

It is best to contact the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care for some information specific to your situation.

You can find some contact information here:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/common/

Call ServiceOntario, INFOline at:
1-866-532-3161 (Toll-free)
In Toronto, (416) 314-5518
TTY 1-800-387-5559.
In Toronto, TTY 416-327-4282
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm

As a person without OHIP, you also have other options for healthcare. Learn more about the many ways you can access healthcare in Ontario, including low-cost care and private health insurance. There is also more information about prenatal care options in Ontario in this article, I am pregnant and don't have OHIP. What health care can I get?.

We hope this information is helpful. Please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link