Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLegal Services and Human Rights

Courts, Human Rights, Lawyers and Legal Representation, Community Legal Clinics, Legal Aid, Police...

Prohibiting the use of laptops in LINC courses 

AlRa
AlRa

Posted On: 9/12/2023
AlRa
AlRa
This is my second year taking LINK courses to learn English in Toronto.
This year, the course manager has banned the use of technological devices (TDs) such as laptops, smartphones, etc. in the classroom. for educational purposes.
I found out that in Ontario it is illegal to use TDs in schools in the classroom.
LINK is not a school, but language learning courses. LINK is not provincial, but federal subordinate.
We are not schoolchildren, but well-educated adults with successful work experience.

In the matter of using TD, the management of the University of Waterloo is guided by the following.
https://uwaterloo.ca/centre-for-teaching-excellence/catalogs/tip-sheets/managing-students-use-technology-classroom#:~:text=No.,laptop%20is%20an%20appropriate%20accommodation

Can I ban all students from using laptops in my classroom?

No. Banning technology in the classroom is a human rights violation.
For many students with physical disabilities, learning disabilities, or other disabilities, a laptop is an appropriate accommodation. Policy 58 - Accessibility upholds the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the Ontario Human Rights Code and other legislation that supports the rights of individuals with disabilities. As a result, banning laptops would violate the legal human rights of these students, and is therefore not an option.
Moreover, even if banning laptops in the classroom were permissible, it’s not feasible to enforce a laptop ban in large classes, and would not solve the problem because students could still use their phones more surreptitiously. Research shows that strict methods of controlling technology are not always effective (Santos et al., 2018) or recommended (Gupta & Irwin, 2016).

Can I ban laptops from my classroom for everyone except students registered with AccessAbility Services?
No.
Banning technology for everyone except those who need it violates an individual’s right to keep their disability private. Banning laptops for all students except the ones registered with AccessAbility Services would essentially makes some students’ disabilities evident to others.
Moreover, many students with disabilities choose not to register with AccessAbility Services but are nonetheless protected by the provincial legislation regarding appropriate accommodations. Laptops and smart phones also benefit students who do not have a disability: for example, these devices enable students who are not fluent in English to quickly look up a word during class.

I think that the LINK manager's decision is a violation of human rights.

What do you think about this?

link
AlRa
AlRa

Posted On: 9/18/2023
AlRa
AlRa
Dear Settement.Org team.

Could you please answer the question?
It is very important for me to know your opinion before taking the next steps.

Thanks in advanse.
link

Posted On: 9/18/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

If your request for accommodation has been declined by your teacher, you may want to connect with the administration team of your LINC provider to see if they can help remediate that.

According to the Ontario Human Rights Commission,
Section 1 of the Code guarantees the right to equal treatment in services, without discrimination on the ground of disability. Education, in its broadest sense, is a “service” within the meaning of the Code. [...] Once a disability-related need has been identified, or where a prima facie case of discrimination has been established, education providers have a duty to accommodate the needs of students with disabilities to allow them to access educational services equally, unless to do so would cause undue hardship.

The OHRC also has an article that may be helpful, I think my human rights have been violated. What should I do? Here's an excerpt,
If you need human rights legal advice or help filing an application with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, contact the Ontario Human Rights Legal Support Centre at: 416-597-4900 or 1-866-625-5179 and speak with a Human Rights Advisor.

To file an application directly with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, visit their website and follow the instructions for How to file an application.

We (The Ontario Human Rights Commission) have many progressive human rights policies that may support your application before the Human Rights Tribunal. If you want the Tribunal to consider our policy position, you have to let them know. The Tribunal is not required to refer to our policies unless they have been asked.

We hope this information is helpful, please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

link
AlRa
AlRa

Posted On: 9/20/2023
AlRa
AlRa
Thank you very much for detailed answer.
link

Posted On: 9/21/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question with us, if you have any further questions - please feel free to share them with the discussion forum community, we hope you found that information helpful and wish you all the best with this advocacy effort.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
AlRa
AlRa

Posted On: 9/22/2023
AlRa
AlRa
Thank you for support.
I haven't taken any steps yet.
link