Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLiving in Ontario

Post information about settling and living in your city in Ontario.

Ccb complications 

Jet212121
Jet212121

Posted On: 9/23/2023
Jet212121
Jet212121
Good afternoon. I’m looking for help regarding receiving Ccb for our toddler. I have watched my partner struggle for over a year dealing with the cra. After more then a year they have told her to apply for welfare. Is there someone or something I can access to get clear and concise information on how to sort this out?? The cra angle is not working for us. She is a full time nurse and I stay home with the child. There is a immigration issue of her having implied status as immigration is apparently years behind. Any help would be mightily appreciated. Thank you in advance. Enjoy your afternoon.
link

Posted On: 9/27/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You may find helpful information on next steps you can take in the StepstoJustice articles, I have a problem with my child tax benefits. Where can I get help? and Can I appeal a decision about child tax benefits?, here's an excerpt:

After you apply for the Canada child benefit (CCB), the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) sends you a notice within 80 days. This notice tells you:
  • if you're eligible to get the CCB
  • how much CCB money you'll get
  • how they decided on the amount
You might disagree with a decision that the CRA makes when you apply or while you're getting the CCB. For example, you might disagree with a decision about:
  • whether you're eligible to get the CCB
  • how much CCB money you'll get
  • how the CRA decided on the amount
  • whether you owe money because the CRA paid you too much
If you disagree with the decision that the CRA makes, sometimes you can fix the problem by talking to the tax centre that handled your income tax return. See Step 1.
If you can't fix the problem by talking to the tax centre, the next step might be to “file an objection”. See Step 2.
When you agree that you owe money
You might agree that you owe the CRA money but have no way to pay it. If this happens, talk to a community legal clinic. There may be something that you can do.

Sometimes this happens because CRA paid you money by mistake. But even if that's the reason, they'll ask you to pay it back.

Getting help
If you disagree with a decision by the CRA, it's a good idea to get legal help.

It may be best to consult with a Lawyer who is familiar with Canadian immigration issues and Canadian Tax law for some advice and assistance with this process. Steps to Justice also has a compiled list of free to low-cost programs and services in immigration law and a list of legal services related to the CCB.

We hope this information is helpful. Please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link