Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Travelling back to Canada from US with cutted PR 

Maya
Maya

Posted On: 10/6/2023
Maya
Maya
Hello,
I attended my citizenship ceremony and cutted PR card, can I go to US by land and come back to Canada? What documents can I show as I don't have certificate yet neither Canadian passport
link

Posted On: 10/31/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You will need a valid travel document to re-enter Canada. Valid travel documents for residents re-entering Canada include:
Carry a valid Canadian passport for all visits abroad, including visits to the United States (U.S.). It is the only universally accepted identification document, and it proves that you have a right to return to Canada.

Now that you are a citizen and eligible for a Canadian passport, you may want to apply for one. You can find information on how to apply for a passport from inside or outside Canada here: https://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/citizenship/canadian-passport/

We hope this information is helpful, please follow up with us if you need any further information.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
alexcray
alexcray

Posted On: 3/1/2024
alexcray
alexcray
Maya wrote:
Hello,
I attended my citizenship ceremony and cutted PR card, can I go to US by land and come back to Canada? What documents can I show as I don't have certificate yet neither Canadian passport

You can apply for a Canadian passport after receiving your citizenship certificate. The processing time can vary, so it's crucial to plan ahead and apply as soon as possible.
link
tarhibniamul
tarhibniamul

Posted On: 21 days ago
tarhibniamul
tarhibniamul
You may still go to the United States by land or water as a recent Canadian citizen who attended the citizenship ceremony but does not yet have your Canadian passport or citizenship certificate, but you will need to bring some papers with you:
When entering the country by land or water (as opposed to air), you must show one of the following documents:
a current passport for Canada

A card from the Trusted Traveler Program (like NEXUS)
An enhanced identity card (EIC) or enhanced driver's license (EDL) from a province or territory where the EDL/EIC program is authorized by the United States
A Safe Certificate of Indian Status
You may enter the United States by land or water with an original or copy of your birth certificate or your Canadian citizenship certificate if you do not yet have either of those papers.
However, all Canadian nationals traveling by air are required to have a valid Canadian passport in order to enter the United States.
The important thing to remember is that, even without your passport or citizenship certificate yet, you may still enter the United States on land or by water as a recent Canadian citizen by utilizing other documentation. Just make sure you cross the border with the right paperwork in hand. The officers of U.S. Customs and Border Protection will have the ability to confirm your citizenship.
link