Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Travelling back to Canada from US with cutted PR 

Maya
Maya

Posted On: 10/6/2023
Maya
Maya
Hello,
I attended my citizenship ceremony and cutted PR card, can I go to US by land and come back to Canada? What documents can I show as I don't have certificate yet neither Canadian passport
link

Posted On: 10/31/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You will need a valid travel document to re-enter Canada. Valid travel documents for residents re-entering Canada include:
Carry a valid Canadian passport for all visits abroad, including visits to the United States (U.S.). It is the only universally accepted identification document, and it proves that you have a right to return to Canada.

Now that you are a citizen and eligible for a Canadian passport, you may want to apply for one. You can find information on how to apply for a passport from inside or outside Canada here: https://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/citizenship/canadian-passport/

We hope this information is helpful, please follow up with us if you need any further information.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
alexcray
alexcray

Posted On: 3/1/2024
alexcray
alexcray
Maya wrote:
Hello,
I attended my citizenship ceremony and cutted PR card, can I go to US by land and come back to Canada? What documents can I show as I don't have certificate yet neither Canadian passport

You can apply for a Canadian passport after receiving your citizenship certificate. The processing time can vary, so it's crucial to plan ahead and apply as soon as possible.
link