Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Sponsoring Grandchildren 

ForumUser
ForumUser

Posted On: 10/24/2023
ForumUser
ForumUser
My grandchildren are American citizens and I want to submit an application for citizenship by heritage. My daughter (their mother) is a naturalized citizen but I was born in Ontario. Are they still eligible for citizenship based on my heritage or does it only work if the parent is Canadian? If it makes a difference, their mother has been a citizen for nearly all her life.
link

Posted On: 11/30/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us. We appreciate your interest in this information. PBSC student volunteers are drafting a response with legal information that should be helpful. If you require immediate or further assistance, it may also be helpful to seek the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer about your situation. To find a community legal clinic in your area, visit Services Near Me.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
Lahbib70
Lahbib70

Posted On: 12/4/2023
Lahbib70
Lahbib70
Hello,

According to my understanding of the situation you described. If your daughter is Canadian by naturalization, in this case it would be more logical she submits an application for Canadian citizenship certificate for her children.

Based on the IRCC website:

You’re likely a Canadian citizen if you

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/already-citizen.html

Regards,
Lahbib70
link