Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeFinding a Job / Working

Finding a Job, Job Listings, Labour Market Information (LMI), Starting a Business, Social Insurance Number, Volunteering...

Steps for Work Permit and SIN for Accepted refugee 

wizix
wizix

Posted On: 11/8/2023
wizix
wizix
I did read lots of post, and I googled, binged and searched the internet for info. still cannot get out of the chicken and egg situation.

I am trying to issue SIN number to my parents who have already been accepted as conventional refugees and have already applied for the PR and it is under process.

in the mean time I have an online IRCC account for them, and there is no way to initiate an open work permit application for them online through the IRCC account. outside the online account there is no way to apply for work permit for them on paper as the guide states that conventional refugee inside Canada must submit online.

on the SIN side, they are eligible because of their status but then when I start the online application there is no conventional refugee/protected person in the status field.

Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thank you.
link

Posted On: 11/29/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us. We appreciate your interest in this information.

You may find helpful information in the StepstoJustice.ca article, Can I work in Canada after I make a refugee claim?
If you're not a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, you need a work permit to be able to work legally in Canada.
If you've made a refugee claim in Canada and are found eligible to make a refugee claim, you can apply for an open work permit and a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada.
[...]
If you're approved for an open work permit, you can apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) through Service Canada

If you didn't apply for an open work permit when you completed your refugee claim forms, you can apply later with a work permit application form.

Once a work permit is obtained, you can apply for a Social Insurance Number. You may also find the information in the article, What documents do I need to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)? helpful in preparing for this application.

According to IRCC's webpage on applying for a work permit:
You’re only eligible to apply on paper if you
  • have a disability that prevents you from applying online
  • are applying under the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program
  • hold an identity or travel document for non-national residents, refugees or stateless persons

[...]
Online applications from CanadaBefore you apply online, make sure you have:

Depending on your situation, you may need to submit Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409] (PDF, 637 KB)

If you are facing technical issues with the IRCC website trying to access the open work permit application, it is best that you contact IRCC directly using their Help Centre. It may be helpful to get in touch with a representative using their call-centre phone line or by web form to get advice/updates specific to your case. You may also be interested in seeking legal help, in which case you can find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, Should I get help with my immigration application from an immigration consultant or lawyer?

We hope this information is helpful and wish you all the best with this process.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
Neva
Neva

Posted On: 12/8/2023
Neva
Neva
Hi,

I would like to ask something about work permit for accepted refugee.

I am now a convention refugee and have an open work permit and I got it free from IRCC when I was a refugee claimant. I am applying for my PR now and the application is in the process. Before I get my PR, how do I extend my work permit before it expires? Will it be free or I need to pay for it? Will there be any requirement for biometrics or medical checkups?

Thank you for answering.
link

Posted On: 12/12/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

According to the IRCC guide, Extend or change the conditions on your work permit:

Fees for open work permits:
If you’re applying for an open work permit, make sure you pay both fees:
  • work permit fee ($155)
  • open work permit holder fee ($100)

The section "How to Apply" will have all the details on this application process. Before you apply, make sure your employer has completed all the required steps. You will also need to book your biometrics collection appointment as soon as you can to avoid processing delays. Find out how to give biometrics.

We hope this information is helpful, if you have any further questions please follow up with us.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link