Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeThe Landing Experience

Questions about how to prepare for your first arrival in Canada - customs, proof of funds, initial settlement help, etc... Tell us what happened when you first landed in Canada.

Moving to Quebec after landing in Ontario with FSW 

getnada
getnada

Posted On: 12/15/2023
getnada
getnada
Hi,

I have completed my landing (FSW, not PNP) and obtained my SIN in Ontario more than a year ago. After staying in Canada for more than two months, I left. Since then, I am living outside of Canada and requesting my personal network for job opportunities/referrals anywhere in Canada (other than Quebec). Now a Quebec based employer is offering me a job. If I accept this job, relocate to Quebec, and complete my settlement (first driver's license and health card), would it potentially cause a problem during/after my citizenship application three years down the line?
link

Posted On: 12/31/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

It may be best for you to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice specific to your situation. You may find helpful information on how to find a reputable and registered lawyer or immigration consultant in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer? and What other kinds of legal help can I get?.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this referral is helpful. Please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
alexcray
alexcray

Posted On: 3/26/2024
alexcray
alexcray
getnada wrote:
Hi,

I have completed my landing (FSW, not PNP) and obtained my SIN in Ontario more than a year ago. After staying in Canada for more than two months, I left. Since then, I am living outside of Canada and requesting my personal network for job opportunities/referrals anywhere in Canada (other than Quebec). Now a Quebec based employer is offering me a job. If I accept this job, relocate to Quebec, and complete my settlement (first driver's license and health card), would it potentially cause a problem during/after my citizenship application three years down the line?

While residency requirements apply across Canada, Quebec has its own immigration system for selecting newcomers. However, your permanent resident status issued by the federal government remains valid throughout Canada, including Quebec.
link
alexcray
alexcray

Posted On: 26 days ago
alexcray
alexcray
getnada wrote:
Hi,

To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you generally need to have been a permanent resident of Canada for at least 3 out of the 5 years (1,095 days) before you apply. While your previous stay in Ontario counts, leaving Canada for an extended period might raise questions about your intention to reside in Canada.
link