Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Noise.... 

Conibear
Conibear

Posted On: 1/11/2024
Conibear
Conibear
Hi,

We have been living in our place for over a year now (moved in December 2022).

The upstairs neighbours have been quite loud every.night for the entire year.

During the school year - the noise starts at 2pm (when the 2 kids get home) until midnight ... sometimes nearly up to 2am. Then they wake up for school at *4AM* and then leave for school at 8:30am. Only to start it all over again at 2pm......

During the summer - they were home ALL day and night making a lot of noise.

The noise consists of thumping around with their feet. Running from room to room. Slamming the cupboards closed. Moving furniture around past 9pm... dragging it across the floor.

Like right now.. it's 12:17 am ... and there is a lot of foot thumping around upstairs.

We have been complaining via email to the SUPER since July 2023. And all they said to us was "the matter has been esculated and we can't talk about it".

But here we are ... January 2024.. and a year later - the noise continues nightly and daily (during the summer months) ...

It's very frustrating... and we have headaches EVERY night. This is NO way for a senior (my husband is 72) and I'm 52 to live.

My question is - is there anything WE as tenants can do about this? To get the noise STOPPED. We are not getting to enjoy our unit - when it sounds as though someone is going to fall through our ceiling at some given time!! :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated :(
link

Posted On: 1/31/2024
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing, we appreciate this advice and concern for this situation. It may be best to contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some additional information regarding what your rights are in this situation as a tenant. Steps to Justice also has a compiled list of programs and services for helping housing law that may be of interest to you.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link