Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR card Renewal and documents requirement 

Posts: 1

Posted On: 5/3/2024
Posts: 1
Hello everyone,

I need to apply for Canadian PR renewal which got expired a month ago(on 26 march 2024). But I came to Canada after 2.5 years. Before its expiration I already met residency obligation(reside in canada for 839 days). Is it a good idea to apply for PR renewal now or shall I wait more ,since I came recently after extended stay outside Canada?

And another question
As per IRCC new guideline of providing two douments to prove your residency obligation for PR renewal.
I am submitting bank statements for two years while I was residing in canada and second one is Notice of Assessment(but I only have for three years and they are asking for past five years before application) Since I did not work in canada for last two years I didnt file my taxes).

If anyone have answers for my queries will be really appreciated.
Thank you
Posts: 4099

Posted On: 5/10/2024
Posts: 4099
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

For PR renewal, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years from the date they receive your application.

You may also find helpful information on this matter in the previous discussion forum thread, When does the 5-year period begin?

To meet your residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis, which is something to take into account as you calculate your 5 year period.

You may also want to contact IRCC directly, using their web form to request case-specific information and discuss your application.

It may also be useful to note that processing time does not include the wait time before they receive the application, and only starts once IRCC receives a completed application. You may also wish to seek the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer about your situation.

If you find yourself in a position where you need to travel and do not yet have your PR card, you may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

Regarding your second question, you may find helpful information in Appendix A: Residency Obligation of Guide IMM 5445 - Applying for a permanent resident card (PR card)

Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation
  • You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
    • employment records or pay stubs;
    • bank statements;
    • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
    • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
    • rental agreements;
    • club memberships;
    • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.

Do not send original documents, as they will not be returned to you.

Both bank statements and CRA Notice of Assessments are listed above as valid documentation IRCC accepts as proof of residency.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.


Your Settlement.Org Team