Lost password

b3nink

all messages by user

8/16/2010
Topic:
ODSP recipient - Sponsor spouse- Conflicting info

b3nink
b3nink
I think this is a great site and am so glad to have discovered it.

I am seeking some advice in my current situation.

I am a recipient of ODSP and am married to a woman from SE Asia.

My spouse is here with me in Canada on a tourist Visa which is about to expire in aprox. 1 month.

We were married this past year and currently she is expecting to give birth in January .

We Originally wanted to start the Imigration process (permanent Residence ) application and have my sister sponsor my wife as she is in a much better financial position to do so.

We had a long and complicated situation in order to get a police report for her from her native country. this delayed us till just now and the deadline by which her visa expires is rapidly approaching.

After speaking with a representative at Canada Imigration I was told that I would have to undertake the sponsorship .

I'm very hesitant to do this as I feel I will become in default and disentitle myself from my ODSP benifits.

I realize in the Imigration guidelines which is a federal jurisdiction Diability pension recipients are allowed to sponsor Imigrants.......But I believe it becomes a huge problem with ODSP which is a provincial jurisdiction.

We are so confused and intimidated by all of the confusing and conflicting information and have no idea how to proceed .

I'm afraid to call my case worker at ODSP and hiring a lawyer is financially not really possible.

I have called our local MPP office and have spoken to a rep who is helping us. we have calle Canada Imigration Info line, but as I stated before FEDERAL and PROVINCIAL rules seem to be conflcting ( when it comes to ODSP) that is.

WE have seached extensively online for info on this but it is very difficult to get specific informatio which applies to our situation.

We are really not sure how to proceed and seek advice on this situation.

Anything that anyone knows would be most helpful. Thanks so much......... sined DAZED and CONFUSED

nink