Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

PMM

all messages by user

6/16/2018
Topic:
Shall I sponsor my Maternal Aunt to Canada?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Varatha wrote:
Hello,
My maternal aunt who is a widow with no children.

Can I either sponsor her to come to Canada from India or adopt her to bring into Canada ?
Please advise..
Thx

Varatha

1. Basic answer is No. One exception is if you are single, have no children, your parents/grandparents are deceased and you don't have Brother/sister/aunt/uncle/nephew/niece is either a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
6/20/2018
Topic:
Question about PR and Living outside Canada

PMM
PMM
Hi

dolkong9 wrote:
Hi I will be marrying Canadian citizen on October in South Korea

and will apply for the PR and this is the where my question comes out.

we figured out that even I don't live in Canada if my partner lives with me in Korea that considers as physically present.

And I do want to apply for the Citizenship if I can and this is where my question comes out.

So I used to study in Toronto about 4 years when I was young around 5th grade to 8th grade

Days spent in Canada before becoming a permanent resident (as a temporary resident or protected person) within 5 years of applying for citizenship, count as ½ days, up to a maximum of 1 year (365 days).

As the policy changed, for me that probably count as 1 year for the citizenship 3 out of 5 years but I still have 2 more year to go and I probably have to keep working in Korea for few more years

Does my partner staying with me also counts for the Citizenship or not?

Thank you and please help me

1. Yes a PR maintains their status if they reside abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse.
2. No, residing abroad with PR spouse does not count for Citizenship, which requires a physical presence in Canada.
3. You previous time as PR will be outside the time frame by the time you are eligible to apply for citizenship.
7/4/2018
Topic:
Withdrawal of Sponsorship to Parents

PMM
PMM
Hi

CV wrote:
I am having trouble with my parents.Whom I sponsored to come to Canada.

They runaway with my children(stubborn teenagers) and live with other people.

I would like to send them back home.

They are giving us emotional distress and it is not healthy anymore to keep up with this unhappy relationship with them.

They don't want to go back home.

They start liking to stay in Canada.

But they are not with me anymore.

So what should I do?

Please respond to me.

Thank you!

1. If they are permanent residents, then there is nothing that you can do, they have right to remain in Canada.
2. As you sponsored them, you are financially responsible for them for 20 years, 10 if in Quebec.
7/4/2018
Topic:
Citizenship Eligibility

PMM
PMM
Hi

Lulu98 wrote:
I'm 19 years old and I have lived in Canada since I was 8 years old but I'm not a citizen yet I'm just a permanent resident.

When I looked at the eligibility for citizenship one of the requirements is to have filed personal taxes for 3 years in the 5 years I've been in Canada but I haven't started filing my own taxes till this year, my parents has always put me as their dependent.

What do I Do?

1. If you have no taxable income in the previous years and weren't required to file an income tax, you just tick NO to question 12A and No to both required to file and if you filed.

2. You will be fine.
7/15/2018
Topic:
Sponsoring a dependent child

PMM
PMM
Hi

PatrickMc wrote:
Hi, I just wanted to check if anyone is familiar with the process for sponsoring a dependent child. I am a PR but currently living in Ireland. Our 3rd child is due in Sep and I just want to check if we can sponsor while outside of Canada? I asked via a CSE and they advised if you are a PR you can sponsor, they did not mention being outside of Canada as an issue but online it seems to say you need to be in Canada. Also just to check my daughter is a Canadian citizen. As our visa was up we moved back to Ireland while awaiting our PR. As she is a citizen, does time caring for her outside of Canada count towards our days in Canada (Long shot but wanted to check) TIA

1. No, PRs can't sponsor while residing outside Canada.

2. No, accompanying a Citizen child outside Canada doesn't preserve your PR status.
7/17/2018
Topic:
Sponsoring a Spouse

PMM
PMM
Hi

jicksonscaria wrote:
Hi,

I have applied to sponsor my wife to Canada and unfortunately my application got returned due to a missing file. Before i got the file back i got laid off and i am on EI now. My question is can i sponsor my wife While i am receiving EI.

Thank You

1. Yes, E.I. is not social assistance, it is an insurance, you pay when you are employed and collect when you are unemployed.
7/18/2018
Topic:
What Should the Age Range Be? - Spouse and Sponsor

PMM
PMM
Hi

Jodan wrote:
My question is,

what should the age range be between a spouse from Asia and an Canadian sponsor in order for there to be no issues with bringing the spouse to Canada?

I know obviously that both persons should be at least 18 years old, but I was told that the difference in age should be no more than two years, or else the sponsorship could be denied.

Is this really true?

1. No of course not, a difference of 2 years is not grounds for refusal. If it was an 80 year old sponsoring an 18 year old spouse the relationship would be looked at very closely to determine if it was a genuine marriage.
7/23/2018
Topic:
How to Sponsor Undeclared Children

PMM
PMM
Hi

[email protected] wrote:
Hi good day.
I became PR feb 2016. By the time my mom submit our papers to become a Permanent resident my girlfriend at that time is pregnant we didn’t declared. Now I’m permanent resident can I sponsor my undeclared daughter.

1, It depends, if the child was born prior to you becoming a PR, then you can't sponsor her, if she was born after you became a PR you can sponsor.
2. You should note that if IRCC determines that you were in a Common/law relationship with your girlfriend for at least 1 year prior to you becoming a PR then you have committed misrepresentation.
7/23/2018
Topic:
Not Meeting Residency Requirement-Sponsor

PMM
PMM
Hi

Anishpa wrote:
Hi.

I had received my PR in Feb 2013 and my PR expires in Feb 2019.

I did my landing in 2014 and subsequently visited in 2016 for a month.

Overall stayed only for 1.5 months till then.

Finally I relocated to Canada only in Jan 2018 so will complete only 1 year 2 months by Feb 2019. I have two queries.

Firstly, Will my PR get renewed if I apply for renewal next year considering my stay in Canada during renewal will be less than the mandatory 2 years.

Secondly, My wife and kid (8.5 yrs) don't have a PR. What is the best way to get them here.

Will their PR get rejected if applied now or what is the best time to apply for their PR.

How about getting them on a visit visa.

Please advise.

Thanks.

1. Don't apply to renew your PR card until you have 730 days of residency in the previous 5 years, or there is a good chance that you will be reported for not meeting your residency application.
2. You shouldn't sponsor your family until you have met your Residency obligations. That would be some time in 2019, you would have to work out the dates.
7/23/2018
Topic:
Police Clearance

PMM
PMM
Hi

samhana wrote:
My wife is planning to apply for citizenship, she is present in Canada now 3yrs continously but before she came to Canada she spent one year in Jordan as a refugee. Does she need to get a police clearance and/or non criminal certificate from Jordan?

1. If she has resided for 6 months or more in another country in the 4 years prior to the date she signs her application, she will require a Police Certificate. So she will require a Jordanian police certificate. Note she requires both see: http://tinyurl.com/y9ahr8ko
7/25/2018
Topic:
Missed the LICO for 1st year by $6233

PMM
PMM
Hi

yino_0 wrote:
Hi,

I missed the LICO for 1st year by $6233 but my 3rd year income exceed the LICO by $30718

Taxation Year
Income For
Source
Eligible Income ($)
Total Eligible Income ($)
MNI ($)
RESULT
Family Size
Sponsor
Option-C
$32384
$32384
$38617
No

Sponsor
Option-C
$43077
$43077
$39371
Yes

Sponsor
Option-C
$70530
$70530
$39812
Yes

Now we have to wait for a visa officer to make the final decision, I believe it won't be fair if my application to sponsor my parents get rejected because I did not meet the LICO for 3 consecutive years. I graduated in 2014 and my salary for my first job was not great, this is what put me in this situation. Now I have a stable job and I'm getting a decent salary.

1. You can probably expect a refusal, as IRCC only follows the regulations, you either meet the LICO+30% for 3 consecutive years at the time you signed the application or you don't. They don't look to the future.
7/25/2018
Topic:
PR Living Abroad With Canadian Citizen

PMM
PMM
Hi

essij wrote:
My case is similar but with one difference: I'm a Canadian citizen and my wife is a PR. After 2 years of living together in Canada, we moved to Australia, where I work for my Canadian employer (we moved because of my job). I know she's eligible for PR card renewal, but I'm wondering if she's eligible to apply for citizenship now that she's been a PR for 4 years.

1. Unless you are employed by either the Federal or Provincial Government or the Canadian Military, you spouse is not eligible for Citizenship. Canadian citizenship requires 3 years of physical residence in Canada to be eligible
7/25/2018
Topic:
PR Card Date of Expiry and Travel

PMM
PMM
Hi

LaceKH wrote:
I’m traveling to Toronto from the US after a month long visit with family.

There was a mistake with my return ticket date which wasn’t caught until too late, now my son and I (along with my Canadian son) are returning on the date of expiry for our PR cards.

We have submitted our applications for renewal but the processing times have climbed from 70 days to now 102. That being said, we couldn’t pick up our new card before leaving on our vacation, they won’t be ready for another month.
Question is, will we be allowed entry on the date of expiry?

Is the card valid on this day but not after?

It feels very technical.

I can show proof of submission for the renewals and I have maintained all residency requirements.

1. As long as the card is valid on the day you fly, the airline will board you. (It is not whether you will be admitted to Canada, that probably isn't a big deal, but the card has to be valid to board the flight to Canada or the Airline won't board you.)

2. The day the card expires, is the end of it's validity.
8/2/2018
Topic:
PRTD on H & C

PMM
PMM
Hi

Anu90 wrote:
I am in the same situation now, I landed in Calgary but I got married after I got my COPR. I was not aware of procedure to get new copr.
Any idea what happens next? I landed alone. I had filled a web form to update but then I got email saying it doesn’t relate to any type of enquiry. I told the officer that I am not single and I am married at the counter. They have currently taken my passport and have asked me to wait for them to call.

1. Probably 2 options, most likely you will not be "landed" as you are no longer single and your spouse was not examined. You probably also received a letter with your COPR that you must inform the Visa office if your marital status changes. And you will have to return home to sort out your application, by adding your spouse and having him/her complete an application.
2. It is extremely unlikely, but if you are "landed" you will not be able to sponsor your spouse.
8/7/2018
Topic:
Simplest way to obtain parent signature (imm1344)

PMM
PMM
Hi

klmhome wrote:
Hi, I'm in the process of completing forms for the Sponsorship of Parents and Grandparents application and I wanted some clarification for the following form: imm1344e - Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking.

In the Signatures section, the following are requested: Sponsor's signature (myself in Canada), Signature of sponsor's spouse (if co-signer) (my wife in Canada), and Signature of sponsored person (principal applicant) (my father in China).

I'm acting as a representative for my father (imm5476e - Use of a Representative), so I'm filling the forms online for my father. I wanted to know, what's the best, simplest, fastest way to get his signature on the imm1344e form (fyi, a digital signature does not seem possible on this form).

Thank you for reading and providing an answer if possible!

1. No choice but to send the forms to your father to sign, and he returns them to you. No digital signatures.