all messages by user

8/15/2018
Topic:
Inquiry Regarding PR card Renewal

PMM
PMM
Hi

Sheila wrote:
I applied for my renewal April 2014. However, I got my permanent resident card only on Dec. 2015 and will expire on December 2020. Presently, I have almost completed my 730 days requirement (August 2018) for the last five years.

1) Can I file my renewal now even when the PR renewal forms states that one can file 9 months before expiry? I might not be able to complete the 730 requirements if I will file on 2020 because I have to be out of Canada on 2019.

2) I remembered during our immigration orientation that renewal may be done in any five-year period. However, I cannot find the basis of this. Is this policy still true?

Thank for your time and will await your advise.

1/ No, you can't apply for a renewal until 9 months before the expiry date of the PR Card.
8/30/2018
Topic:
Canadian Passport - Guarantor Signature - Who?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Smicker wrote:
Is it ok for a spouse to sign as the guarantor on the passport application?

1. No, from the instructions

"

You need two references for your passport renewal or new applications. Your references must:
  • have known you for at least:
    • two years for passport applications
    • six months for Certificate of Identity or Refugee Travel Document applications
  • not be your guarantor
  • not be a family member
  • be 18 years of age or older
  • agree to you using their name and contact information for your application

Family members who can't be a reference for your application
This includes your:
spouse or common-law partner
9/4/2018
Topic:
Pre-Arrival Services

PMM
PMM
Hi

faranrz wrote:
Hi,

I am planning to land in few months. The Pre arrival services mentioned in CIC website such as CanPrep is asking for COPR and UCI numbers. Is is legit to give them or are these as sensitive as SIN?

Thanks in advance

1. Well probably save, as the Pre Arrival Services are supported by IRCC and the only way to access them is with proof your are an intending emigrant with your UCI and COPR number.
9/11/2018
Topic:
PR Status and Divorce - Will I Be Deported?

PMM
PMM
[Hiquote=shah]
Hi

Hello.

I have been married to my husband for at least 2.5 years ago.

When he was working in Dubai. He applied for Canada under Express Entry for himself and me as well.

We both have received our PR, and we landed there in May 2018. After living around 2 month in Canada, he moved to Dubai to their employer. And I was there in Canada and I came home country Pakistan in August 2018.

The thing is I have been having some issues with him since April 2018 but problem still exist.

And then he finally Divorced me in my home country. I have my PR with me. I wanted to know that can I go there and live. will he have me deported back?

Or how will it affect my PR status there?

I mean, I have the PR, how will it affect me?
Can I move to another State with same PR or I have to change address.

Please advised and guide in details.

Thanks and best Regards

Shah

1. Yes you can return to Canada, as you were not sponsored but were included as a dependent in your husband's application.
2. You can live wherever you want in Canada.
3. Once you are permanent resident, you don't have to inform Canada Immigration where you are living.

4. You must meet your residency obligations by living in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period.

5. Your ex-husband can't have you deported.
9/12/2018
Topic:
PR Status and Divorce - Will I Be Deported?

PMM
PMM
Hi

shah wrote:
Hi PMM,

One more question please. My husband insisting to return the PR. Has he authority to get back PR from me. Has he legally authorize to do so ?

your urgent response in details shall be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Shah

1. No, he has no authority, he is no longer your spouse. Keep your PR card.
2. CIC has no interest that you are now divorced.
9/14/2018
Topic:
Application for Canadian Citizenship

PMM
PMM
HI

karine wrote:
Hi, I have somes question regarding application for Canadian citizenship:

(1) Question No. 11 on the application form "Tell us what you have been doing during the eligibility period.", the question column "where were you physically located? address(number & street name", does this question refer to the address of the workplace or school (in case I work or study), or refer to my residential address during that period??

(2) Question No. 12. b, the title row of "Tax year, Required to file, Tax filed" get duplicated every time I re-open my application & continue filling the form on computer . What should I do to remove the duplicated title row?

Thank you for reading & answers.

1. Residential.
2. Sorry, can't help.
9/15/2018
Topic:
Returning to Canada After 4 Years

PMM
PMM
HI

mathewamr wrote:
Hi,

If any one can advice, my PR card was issued in July,2014, since that i am out of Canada. now i am planning
to return to Canada by end of this month. my PR card is expiring in July,2019.

My questions are:
1- If they ask me to go back since i have not lived in Canada for two years, will that be from Airport? or i can still live until my PR card expires

2- If i pass through immigration and start working in Canada, do i have to file an appeal immediate? or after spending two years i just apply for renewal of PR card.

Rgds,

Mathew Amr.

1. If you are reported on entry for not meeting your Resident obligations, you will be issued a removal order and have 30 days to appeal to the Immigration and Refugee Board (you should have legal representation for this) as to why you should not lose your PR status.

2. If you are not reported, then you would have to remain in Canada for 2 years without leaving, to bring your Residence obligation into compliance. Only when you are in compliance, should you apply to renew your PR card.
9/19/2018
Topic:
Visitor Visa for Re-Entry after Landing

PMM
PMM
Hi

Arewa wrote:
Hi, I landed in Canada last month, stayed for 2 weeks but had to leave before I got my Resident Card.

Now , I wish to re enter, I have a Valid Temporary Resident Visa , ( Multiple Entry Visitors Visa ) that was issued to me before I became a Permanent Resident of Canada .

Can I use this visa to re enter Canada ?

Thanks in advance

1, You TRV was probably cancelled by CIC shortly after you became a PR. You will need a Permanent Resident Travel Document to board a plane to Canada.
9/27/2018
Topic:
Can I Sponsor my Brother and his Family?

PMM
PMM
Hi

happy_canadian wrote:
Hi,
I am a Canadian citizen, I would like to know if its possible for me to sponsor my brother and his family under the family sponsorship program similar to parents/spouse sponsorship.

My brother is above 18 years of age, They have 2 kids. Please let me know.

Thanks
IQ

1. Only if you are single, have no children, your parents are both deceased, and that you don't have a father/mother/brother/sister/aunt/uncle/niece/nephew, who are residing in Canada or Canadian citizens.
9/29/2018
Topic:
Expired PR Card to travel to the US

PMM
PMM
Hi

kristina wrote:
My PR card renewal is still on the process and as I have checked today to the CIC, new PR card wont come back yet until maybe end of October or 1st week of November 2018. I need to travel to the US this Oct. 5th until October 9th by a private car. Can I go with an expired PR card. I have with me my confirmation of PR. Is it enough in Canada border when I come back?

1. Yes, as long as you are traveling by a private vehicle you will be fine.
10/2/2018
Topic:
Citizenship - physical presence obligations

PMM
PMM
Hi

WheresWally123 wrote:
Hi All,

Regarding PR and Citizenship - there appear to be differing obligations in terms of satisfying the requirements if you are contributing to the obligations when accompanying a spouse (who is a Citizen) overseas.

For PR, each day spent with a Spouse who is also a Canadian Citizen overseas counts towards the physical presence obligations - i.e. to maintain PR status.

For Citizenship, the requirements for physical presence indicate:

"Duration of physical presence

The applicant must have been physically present in Canada for at least 1095 days during the five years immediately before the date of application. It should be noted that:

only physical presence in Canada counts;
each day of physical presence in Canada as a permanent resident counts as one day; and
each day of physical presence in Canada as an authorized temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident counts as one half day, with a maximum of 365 days towards physical presence".

In terms of time overseas with a Canadian citizen:

"Under subsection 5(1.1) of the Act, a citizenship applicant can count time residing with their Canadian citizen spouse who was employed outside of Canada in or with the Canadian Armed Forces or the public service of Canada or the public service of a province or territory, but not as a locally engaged staff, as time spent residing in Canada for the purpose of meeting the residence requirement for citizenship".

My question therefore is -

Do days spent outside Canada, maintaining PR with a spouse who is a Canadian Citizen count towards the PR requirements for Citizenship?

I am guessing not (since my wife would not be employed in or with the Canadian Armed Forces or the public service of Canada or the public service of a province or territory).

Can anyone shed any more light?

Thanks

1. No, unless your Canadian spouse is employed overseas by The Canadian Government, a Provincial Gov't or the Canadian Military, doesn't include local hires. You need actual physical presence in Canada to apply for citizenship.
10/7/2018
Topic:
PR card is Expiring - Only have 720 Days In Canada

PMM
PMM
Hi

deepanathr wrote:
Hello

I am a permanent resident of Canada and currently living in Canada. My PR card expires on 26th March 2019 and as of now (26th Sep 2018)I have only 540 days of stay in Canada as I have travelled out few times in the past 5 years for personal reasons.

So if I continue to stay, I will have 720 days of physical presence in Canada by the 26th of March 2019.

Can I apply for renewal of my PR card with a covering letter stating that I will not leave the country till I meet the residency requirement(In my case April 17 2019 or beyond).

I would appreciate any thoughts on this
Thanks

D

1. Don't renew your PR card until you have 730 days of residency in the past 5 years. A "promise letter" won't be any help.
10/21/2018
Topic:
Sponsorship by My Wife

PMM
PMM
Hi

SeanOChuinn wrote:
Hello,

I will try to summarize as best I can. Apologies in advance for long post.

My wife is Canadian. I am Irish. We moved back home to Ireland in 2015 due to health issues of my mother and wanting to be closer to that situation. Prior to that I had been in full time employment in Canada for 6 years and had received my PR card which at this point is now "expired" as I have been out of the country consecutively for longer than the required period but my PR status is still active.

We tried to go to Canada on a 10 day trip on the 19th of October just gone, as my sister in law had had her first child and we wanted to visit. I knew I had an expired PR Card but had applied for an eTA to go on this holiday not realizing that an expired card still left my PR status as active as such, the eTA was then turned down:

A review of your file shows that you may still be or once were a Canadian permanent resident (PR). Canadian PRs are not eligible to apply for an eTA.

Unfortunately my wife had to continue the holiday on her own and I had to return to Ireland as there was no way to decide what to do or provide the required documentation in time. The communication above also gave me two options, a. the revoke my PR, b. to renew my PR but going through the documentation I don't know if we meet the requirements.

At this point we are trying to think to the future as she may well be in the situation I was in with her parents getting older and needing more support and we would want to return back home to Canada for prolonged periods of time. We're thinking that renewing the PR might be one bet but dual citizenship for myself (an Irish citizen) would be the best bet. And as far as I know the PR status is required for Citizenship.

Would anyone have any guidance on how to continue with this process and whats the steps we'd need to take?

Thank you in advance.

1. As you have been residing abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse, you have retained your PR status. To return to Canada, you need to apply through the VAC in London for a PR Travel Document, if you intend to travel back and forth to Canada/Ireland, request a multiple entry PRTD . Once you are re-settled in Canada, you can apply to renew your PR card
11/20/2018
Topic:
Translation of Passport Stamps?

PMM
PMM
Hi

canadianstar wrote:
For canadian citizenship application, do we need to only have certified translation of passport stamps or have them notarized as well?
I am confused.

1. Only a certified translation if they are done in Canada is required.
11/20/2018
Topic:
PR card Renewal Application

PMM
PMM
Hi

Saarahhh wrote:
I have same issue now.
I sent my application on Sep and can't check my status yet.
I was wondering if cic is going to send me an email once they start the process...?

Did you get an email from them?

1. No, IRCC won't send you an email.

2. The PR card won't show up on Ecas until it is printed, (usually) and then it is mailed out.

3. Go with the published processing time and add a week/10 days for mailing (when the Post office isn't on strike)