Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

PMM

all messages by user

6/22/2021
Topic:
Is United Nations a public sector organization?

PMM
PMM
Hi

mfarouk wrote:
Hello,

I am a permanent resident accompanying my Canadian wife who is working for the Untied Nations (UN) outside Canada. Can I consider the UN as a public sector entity (since Canada is a member in this inter-governmental organization) and accordingly count my travel days towards my citizenship application?

Best regards,

MEF

1. No, it is not and the days won't count for citizenship.
7/6/2021
Topic:
Will my parents need to apply for a PRTD?

PMM
PMM
Hi

wycxn wrote:
My parents' PR card expires on Oct. 4, 2021, they are booking return flight on Sept. 24, 2021, will they have problem enter Canada ? Do they need to apply travel document ?

Thank you,

1. No, as long as there PR cards are valid and they meet their residency obligations. Check the Covid vaccination requirements for returning PRs
7/15/2021
Topic:
Can I take the online citizenship test abroad?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Moderator wrote:
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

According to IRCC, online citizenship tests must also be taken inside Canada. You can find more information about this in the IRCC article, "About the online citizenship test."

We hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

1. Actually it is possible to request to take the Citizenship test outside Canada.
2. From the CIC website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/citizenship.html#oath

"This is what the Citizenship Test section says:
If you get your invitation and plan to take the test while you’re outside Canada, send an email to the address in the Eligibility section of your invitation.

In your email

• put “Outside Canada – Citizenship Test” in the subject line
  • in the body of your message, include
    • your full name
    • your application number
    • the start and end date for your test
We’ll contact you with your next steps after we receive your email.
7/26/2021
Topic:
Separate Landings Among Family

PMM
PMM
Hi

jmae wrote:
Hello,

I would like to know the process of landing from a different flight than my common law partner. I am the primary applicant. Can we arrive the same day and can we go through immigration together or do I have to go first then him? Also, if I bring in the proof of finds in cash, how will my partner show proof of funds during his landing?

I have already looked at this from IRCC (although it is still unclear):

A principal applicant may have decided to proceed to Canada in order to commence employment or to confirm that adequate settlement arraA principal applicant may have decided to proceed to Canada in order to commence employment or to confirm that adequate settlement arrangements, such as accommodation and educational facilities prior to the arrival of their family members. A BSO at Immigration Secondary must confirm that the family members meet the requirements of the Act and its Regulations before granting permanent resident status to the principal applicant. In most instances, the BSO can assume that persons listed on the principal applicant’s permanent resident visa meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations and can grant permanent resident status to the principal applicant. If the BSO has reason to believe the family members may not have been examined, the BSO may defer the examination pursuant to section A23 pending confirmation from the visa office that they have been examined.ngements, such as accommodation and educational facilities prior to the arrival of their family members. A BSO at Immigration Secondary must confirm that the family members meet the requirements of the Act and its Regulations before granting permanent resident status to the principal applicant. In most instances, the BSO can assume that persons listed on the principal applicant’s permanent resident visa meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations and can grant permanent resident status to the principal applicant. If the BSO has reason to believe the family members may not have been examined, the BSO may defer the examination pursuant to section A23 pending confirmation from the visa office that they have been examined.

1. Principal applicant has to "land" first.
2. Only the Principal resident has to show proof of funds.
8/9/2021
Topic:
PR renewal

PMM
PMM
Hi

shallinder wrote:
hello everyone. i am permanent residet of canada from 2017. but due to passaway my canadian husband i have to move back to india in july 2017 after spendimg just 5 months in canada. i have two children both are canadian citizen and studying in India. my father is a cancer patient and no one at home to look after him. i am doing 4 hours job in india. my situation is i cant leave my old parents alone in infia as both are ill. and my children are studying in india. if i move back to canada with my both minor children it will be very hard for me to work their. and also hard for my father. my pr card is about to finsh on april 2022. i want to know if i dont move their till april 2022. what shoul i do in this situation. Thanks. Regards.

1. It would appear that you no longer meet your residency obligations to reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period

2. If you travel to Canada prior to the expiry of your PR card, there is a good chance that you will be reported on entry, which could mean that you lose your PR status.

3. If you are not reported, then you would have to remain in Canada for 2 years, to be in compliance with the Residency Obligations before you could apply for a new PR card.
9/1/2021
Topic:
Leaving Canada for an extended period of time

PMM
PMM
HI

martes wrote:
Hello,
I have become a permanent resident of Canada recently. However I will need to leave Canada for a few years to join my new job outside of the country. I saw online that I will need to notify the IRCC about my leaving the country. Can anyone please tell me how should I notify them? Also where can I find the details of this procedure?

Thank you.

1. You only notify CIC about leaving Canada when you have a citizenship application in progress, PRs don't inform CIC.
2. Remember you must continue to meet your residency obligations by residing in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period.
9/15/2021
Topic:
PR days count outside Canada

PMM
PMM
Hi

EsmailCanada wrote:
Hi,

I got PR in 2018 and was able to live one year in Canada.
Due to the pandemic, I went to birth country to live with family.

I am not sure if I can go back right now but do not want to lose my PR status.

How can I get my days counted being outside Canada?

My daughter is a Citizen and my wife has PR.

Can I have income in Canada, pay taxes, and get my PR days counted?

1. No, as your spouse is not a Canadian citizen you have to reside in Canada for 730 days in every 5 year period. So if you left in 2019 you have been outside Canada for about 2 years. You and your spouse will have to return so that you have 1 more year of residence before 5th anniversary date of your landing.
9/15/2021
Topic:
Left canada in emergency

PMM
PMM
Hi

Shane83 wrote:
Good morning. I left Canada in an emergency as my mum was sick a day after I landed in the UK she passed away. Now here's the problem my PR card expired in January this year. I had no plans on leaving Canada and had just 2 months ago started the process of renewing my PR card witch hasnt turned up yet. So I'm stuck in the UK and a PRTD can take up to 8 weeks. I have heard of people being able to fly with expired PR cards. Could I be able to fly? Has anyone ever had to deal with this? I'm trying to contact Marco the immigration MP also to try help. Any advice would be great. My whole life is in Canada and not here anymore

1. With an expired PR card, the airline will not allow you to board a direct flight to Canada.
2. You can either apply for a PRTD or fly to the US (assuming you have a visa) and cross the land boarder to Canada. You would probably be allowed to enter with the expired PR card and other proof of residency in Canada.
9/28/2021
Topic:
Citizenship from Quebec

PMM
PMM
Hi

Shona wrote:
Hi
I have heard a lot of difficulties people are facing if they are applying for citizenship from Quebec. I am moving from Ontario after completing my 900 days there and will be completing remaining days in Quebec.
Will it be problem to apply for citizenship from that province???

Please help

1. Your citizenship application will be processed in the Province where you are residing permanently on the date of your application
10/13/2021
Topic:
Citizenship by Heritage

PMM
PMM
Hi

ForumUser wrote:
Hi, my husband’s mother is a dual citizen of Canada the France. Can my husband become a citizen of Canada as an adult because his mother is a citizen? Do we need her information? Does it matter if she was born in Canada? Can my kids and/or I also become Canadian citizens?

1, It depends on how his mother obtained her citizenship. If she was born in Canada, then he could apply for proof of citizenship as the first generation born abroad. Neither you nor your children would be eligible for citizenship. As you don't have a connection to Canadian citizenship and your children would be the 2nd generation born abroad, so would not be eligible.
2. If his mother obtained her Canadian citizenship through naturalization prior to his birth, then he would be eligible, if it was after his birth, then he would not be eligible.

3. If his mother obtained her citizenship through descent (i.e. one of her parents was a Canadian citizen when she was born abroad) then he would not be eligible.
11/25/2021
Topic:
Sponsoring Spouse and land in different Province

PMM
PMM
Hi

patelnancy wrote:
Hello,

We applied for my husbands sponsorship from US and all the addresses provided in the application are for Ontario as majority of our relatives live here. We just received his passport request and so will be asked to land soon. However, looking our financial situation and job opportunities we would like to land in Alberta now instead of Ontario. Questions that we are wondering are:

1. Since we mentioned in our application initial interest in landing in Ontario, do we HAVE to land in Ontario?
2. If we choose to land in Alberta, do we have to inform the immigration services in advance or we can still land in any province since we both will be landing together or I will already be in Albert when he lands in Canada.
3. If we do have to inform the immigration services can send a letter along with our passport when we send it for the PR stamp.

Any help and guidance in this situation will be helpful.

Thank You

1. No.
2. You can "land" anywhere you want except for Quebec, unless you have onward transportation. You don't have to inform CIC.
11/25/2021
Topic:
PR CARD RENEWAL- RETURNED APPLICATION

PMM
PMM
Hi

harpit wrote:
HI,

My daughter's application ( minor child) for PR renewal was returned by IRCC few days back. I sent original application in June and was received by IRCC on 10 June 2021. The application form was signed on 30 May 2021.
The letter from IRCC indicates that your application is not complete and therefore is being fully returned to you for following reasons. Their letter is dated 1 Oct 2021, which I received few days back in 2nd week of Nov 2021. The reasons are -
1) Your photos do not meet the specifications
2) Application dated more than 90 days before being received by IRCC will require that you update your absences, re-sing and re-date the application, otherwise application will be returned as incomplete.

I need to provide new photos as per first item.

I don't understand the second item. My application was received by IRCC in time and is not stale dated or post dated. Their processing delay has dragged this from June to Nov 2021 and now they need updated application. I am confused with this. Should I fill out the form (IMM 5444) entirely and update section C item 19 (Address history), item 20 (work history) and item 21 (Travel history) with current dates and sign and send the form with documents, OR
I only update the section C - item 21 ( Travel history period to be assessed i.e xx Nov 2016 to xx Nov 2021) of the IMM 5444 and change the date on signature page (section G item 25) and send it back.

Thank you for your time and help !

Harpit

1. The application was not processed, so you can't just send in the old application. You have to update with any absences up to the date you sign the new application.
12/2/2021
Topic:
Dual Citizenship

PMM
PMM
Hi

ryanlw wrote:
Hi,

I am in the process of filling out my citizenship application and wanted clarity on how many citizenships do Canada accept. I currently have a South African Passport via birth and British Passport that was handed down through my parents.

Will i have to renounce one passport or can i still proceed with the application since Canada accept 2 or More Citizenships?

Thanks for your input and advice.

ryan

1. As many as you want. You don't have to renounce any BUT note the following from South Africa

"it is possible for a South African Citizen to hold dual citizenship (be a citizen of more than one country). However, in order to make this possible a South African Citizen aged 18 years or older must apply to the Department of Home Affairs for the retention of their citizenship. Under the South African Citizenship Act one is only able to retain your South African Citizenship if you apply for the retention of this before acquiring foreign citizenship. If a South African Citizen does not obtain this permission prior to obtaining foreign citizenship, they will automatically lose this on the basis of voluntarily acquiring citizenship of a foreign country."
12/13/2021
Topic:
Postponing required entry date

PMM
PMM
Hi

evanrmartin wrote:
Thank you for your reply.

I am a Canadian citizen and was born in Canada, so our children will be Canadian citizens at birth. However, before they can get passports to go to Canada they need to receive proof of Canadian citizenship. This takes 15 months according to the the CIC website, and I was concerned this may not be completed before my wife's COPR validity is up. In that situation, as you do not recommend landing outside of the COPR's 12 month window, there is a chance my wife would have to enter Canada alone while I wait for our children's proof of citizenship and passports.

I will contact an immigration lawyer about applying for urgent processing time for proof of citizenship to match my wife's COPR validity when she gives birth. I will also be sure to inform the CIC of the change to my wife's PR application when she gives birth.

Thank you.

1. You can apply for proof of citizenship and a limited validity passport at the same time, explaining the expiry date of your spouse's COPR
2. Or you can apply for a facilitation visa for children on their national passport. see: tinyurl.com/2zdxy2vr
12/13/2021
Topic:
Immigration procedure at initial place of arrival

PMM
PMM
Hi

Austin2004 wrote:
Dear all,

Can anyone advise on how much time it will take for the immigration procedure at the initial place of arrival in Canada? My spouse, who has the COPR, first port of arrival in Canada will most likely be Toronto before taking another flight to Montreal. How much time should be planned for the immigration procedure in order not to miss the connecting flight?

Thank you,

1. Depending on how busy Toronto Airport is, I would allow 3-4 hours. Note there are hourly flights between Toronto and Montreal.