12/20/2014
Topic:
Questions about In-Canada Sponsorship Timeline

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi,

We are concerned about our timeline.

We submit our application to sponsor my spouse from within Canada in April 2014.

We received a letter in August 2014 to state that CIC had received our application.

We have not heard anything since then and we cannot access anything about the status through the online system or the call centre.

Tried to call the CIC Call Centre and the call was terminated.

Does anyone know if this timeline sounds normal or would it seem like there is a problem?

Does anyone else have a similar timeline? Have you heard anything?

Thanks in advance.

1. First level processing time is 16 months and they are working on applications received in Aug/13. So it will be a while before you hear anything.

PMM
12/21/2014
Topic:
Immigration Consultants - Question

PMM
PMM
Hi

Does Ontario Registered Immigration Consultants have direct access to contact Case Officers?

No.

PMM
12/21/2014
Topic:
Sponsoring a niece

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi there

I am unclear if our situation permits me to sponsor my niece.
I am single and live alone in Canada.
- 6 months ago I brought my niece (13 years) to live with me and we obtained a student visa. She is not an orphaned but I obtained Canadian legal guardianship which her parents consented
- My mother is alive but not a Canadian citizenship
- My Brother (my nieces father) is not a Canadian citizen or Permanent Residence but we are trying for him to come as a Construction worker (no work permit as yet)
Since my Niece is already living with me, can I sponsor her as a Permanent Residence.
I am in process for my Canadian citizenship under the section:

"A relative of any age or relationship if the sponsor does not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, or who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada."
Thanks!

No, as your mother is still alive and she would be sponsorable.

PMM
12/24/2014
Topic:
Contacting CIC on Dec 24 or 27

PMM
PMM
Hi

Do you think it will be possible to speak to an agent if I call CIC on Dec 24 or Dec 27?

You won't know until you try. They will be closed on the 27th, Saturday.

PMM
12/25/2014
Topic:
Date Format in Application - Problem

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi please can u help me
I tried to enter the date ( in application IMM 1344
question 8b) and they appear "The correct format is: must be greater or equal to 1900 and valid calendar", the form I enter " 2014-10-23 " not correct I don't know why ?
Thanks

1. Click inside the box. A small box will appear to the right. Click on it, a calendar will appear, click on the right date.

PMM
12/30/2014
Topic:
PR Status after Divorce

PMM
PMM
Hi

1. As long as you meet the residency requirement of residing in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period you are still a PR. That is unless you were sponsored by your wife, and your PR has condition 51 on it. Condition 51 states that you have to reside with your spouse for the first 2 years of your PR basically.

PMM
12/30/2014
Topic:
Parental Sponsorship 2010

PMM
PMM
Hi

1. It would be much better for the OP to read the operations bulletin about adding a co-signer. Which outlines the circumstances where a co-signer can be added.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2011/ob324.asp

PMM
12/30/2014
Topic:
PR Status after Divorce

PMM
PMM
Hi

PMM

I was sponsored by my wife, and yes it's says U have to resid with her in the 5 years 2 years. But we didn't . My pr was issued 2014 August. And now she wants divorce. So if we did . I will be able to enter canada after that ? As I'm out of canada now . And my PR expires 2019

Essam

1. As you have condition 51 on your PR , and you didn't reside with your spouse for the first 2 years after landing, you can expect CIC to takes steps to remove you from Canada.

PMM
12/30/2014
Topic:
Pr card Expired - In Canada

PMM
PMM
Hi

If you leave prior to receiving your new PR card, and you hold a NON visitor visa exempt passport, then you will be required to obtain a Travel Document from CIC overseas to return to Canada.

PMM
1/1/2015
Topic:
Divorce & Re-Marriage - Possible?

PMM
PMM
Hi

I got married to my x-wife 3years ago in Africa, we had problems when i came to canada so we are divorcing, can i remarry from back home in Africa when we divorce? If so, is there a certain wait period before my new wife can come to canada? Am a permanent resident tho. Thnkx

SA

1. If your wife sponsored you, you can't sponsor a spouse for 5 years after the date you became a permanent resident.

PMM
1/9/2015
Topic:
How can I help my wife to get her PR card?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi there,
I have already landed in Canada on 2012, now I want to get married soon. My wife is studying in a college and she entered Canada with student visa since 6 months.
After we get married, I want to know how should she get her PR card as mine? Does family sponsorship is the only option that we have?
Thanks in advance for your help

1. Spousal sponsorship, unless she qualifies under one of the other Immigration programs.

PMM
1/9/2015
Topic:
I Have Lost my IMM 1000 - Citizenship

PMM
PMM
Hi

Thanks Anna for your information. My friend has given his original(IMM 1000) to Onatrio Works, Service Canada for obtaining his SIN Card, Health Card, and getting OW benefits in the past, before loosing his Original. In the past,He had approached OW to know whether they could provide a copy of his IMM 100o from their record but turned down his request, I wonder if he approaches service Canada for a copy of his IMM 1000, would they be able to provide a copy from their records, because they keep a copy of the IMM 1000 to issue SIN card, Please advice

Thanks
ATP

1. CIC no longer issues replacement copies of documents, only a verification of status which your friend has.

PMM
1/9/2015
Topic:
Questions About Post Landing - Toronto

PMM
PMM
Hi

I have got immigrant visa and planning to land in Toronto in the near future. I have the following queries and would appreciate if you could answer them for me:

1) What happens exactly after post landing at Pearson International Airport in Toronto?

2) Does the post landing formalities happen 24 hours a day or Is there any specific time duration during which post landing formalities happen at the airport? What if a person arrives during evening or night time at the airport?

3) How much time does post landing formalities take?

1. You tell Customs Primary examination that you are here to "land". They will refer you to Immigration secondary. Depend on what category you are "landing" in, you will need your passport, COPR, Proof of funds, and B4 & B4A Goods accompanying and Goods to follow. You will be asked if your family composition has changed, whether you have any criminal records. You will need a Canadian address for your PR card to be mailed to.
2. Immigration/Customs at International airports are open whenever an International flight arrives.
3. Depends on how many people are referred to Immigration. If it is a slow time, 20 minutes, if busy 2/3 hours.

PMM
1/12/2015
Topic:
Questions About Post Landing - Toronto

PMM
PMM
Hi

You will find them here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/menu-eng.html

PMM
1/12/2015
Topic:
PR Renewal Questions

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello
I am a dual Canadian/UK citizen & my partner has PR for Canada which expires in May
Unfortunately, although we regularly travel between the 2 countries, we have not been living in Canada for the required 2 years out of 5 - this is due to my partner having to be in the UK for legal counsel & medical reports etc. for a compensation claim following an accident at work. This was meant to have been settled over a year ago but the goalposts are moved every 6 months & settlement is now anticipated for June. Plus I have a business in UK that I have been trying to sell.
My question is; once we declare our absences from Canada will my partner get his PR renewal? Will it be better as I am a citizen? Or should we just let his PR expire & reapply for his PR once we actually come to live for good, hopefully following June?

Feeling worried............

1. As you are a Canadian citizen and if you are accompanying your partner abroad, his PR is safe.

You may also count days outside of Canada as days for which you satisfy the residency obligation in the following circumstances:

OPTION 1. Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada

You may count each day that you accompanied a Canadian citizen outside Canada provided that the person you accompanied is your spouse, common-law partner or parent (if you are a child under 19 years of age).

Evidence required

You must provide supporting documents to prove that:
The person you are accompanying is a Canadian citizen; and
You are the spouse, common-law partner or child of that person.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA

PMM