iceninja

all messages by user

10/8/2014
Topic:
Expired PR card - Out of Country

iceninja
iceninja
Hi,

I have a bit of a conundrum: I am a Canadian resident/US citizen, and I only realized a little too late that my PR card expires in a few days, and I've just submitted the application to get it renewed. I'm living in northern California at this time, so I would have difficulty getting back to Canada.

I am also in the process of getting my citizenship application approved (started over a year ago) - I've passed the exam, and now I am waiting for them to tell me when the ceremony is, so I can come back to Vancouver for it. The thing is, when I went to do my exam, I'm pretty sure the guy who examined my IMM5292 took it, or forgot to give it back. I thought that was normal, so now I don't have it.

I can apply for a Verification of Status, would that be enough documentation if I try to cross the border by car? If not, does anyone know the typical processing times for a travel document? I'm sort of stuck because if I apply, I need to do it in advance, but then I don't know the exact dates that the ceremony will be. How specific do I need to be for the travel document to still be valid?

Thank you very much for any information you can share.

Note: I am having the PR card sent to my in-law's address in Canada, so it will still get sent to a valid Canadian location, but again I'm lost about the best course of action for the next month.