Sam43

all messages by user

11/6/2014
Topic:
Visiting Canada after Relinqishing PR

Sam43
Sam43
HI

My husband is a US citizen who could not complete his 2-year residence obligation in Canada.

He works in a border city in the US. During the last 2.6 years he traveled to Canada almost every weekend (and sometimes during the mid week) overland using his Canadian PR card.

Until this moment he tried hard to get a Job in Canada so that he could give up his job in the US and live in Canada.

Although he is well qualified he did not get favorable responses to any of his job applications in Canada.

Now his PR card is expiring in a few weeks and he may not be eligible for renewal of his Canadian PR status.

He can’t give up his job and stay back in Canada until he completes his 2-year residence obligation for obvious economic reasons.

Therefore, he wants to relinquish his Canadian PR and continue to work in the US and keep visiting Canada overland using his US passport during weekends.

Question:

1. Will he be able to relinquish his PR status in Canada when he visits Canada next time?

2. Will he be able to continue visiting Canada after relinquishing his PR using his US passport?

Thanks in advance for your input
11/13/2014
Topic:
Visiting Canada after Relinqishing PR

Sam43
Sam43
Hello Anna
Thanks. I appreciate your prompt and detailed reply. I will ask my husband to call the phone number you have provided. I will definitely get back to you with an update.

Sam