Lost password

Shrin

all messages by user

11/23/2014
Topic:
Sponsorship Dilemma - Married to a Married Person

Shrin
Shrin
I badly need some advice as my case is really complicated and it's very confusing.

My naturalized Canadian husband and I got married early this year in my country.

Recently, we submitted a spousal sponsorship living outside Canada.

The immigration asked him to submit divorce paper which we were dumbfounded as we both knew he was never married but was in a common-law relationship with his ex when he entered Canada together with her as immigrants from Europe.

But when we dug further and contacted his ex, we discovered she took a marriage certificate from the province office back in his home country without him knowing to apply for visa as a married couple.

In his country, you can get a marriage certificate without having the ceremony after living together for years.

But my husband had no knowledge of it as it was his ex who filled out all the immigration papers back then.

When we got married we were able to secure a certificate of his single status from his hometown's city hall.

It was only now that he knew about the existence of the marriage contract his ex got.

Question:

1. Is it better to withdraw his sponsorship? What's the implication if we reapply in the future once we got everything settled?

2. The immigration ask to explain in writing if he can't produce divorce paper.

Can we give a thorough explaining of his circumstances?

Or should we just leave it hanging and let them cancel the application until the deadline expires?

Please help!
11/26/2014
Topic:
Sponsorship Dilemma - Married to a Married Person

Shrin
Shrin
Hi, Anna!

Thank you for your insight with regards to my situation. My husband has been trying to contact CIC to seek clarity and advice on the necessary steps we need to take.

Once again, thank you!