Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

PhD Applicant

all messages by user

12/29/2014
Topic:
Can I Study Part-Time while on Open Work Permit?

PhD Applicant
PhD Applicant
Dear Settlement.org Officer,

Could you please clarify me if i may be eligible to study part-time in Canada. Here is my situation, I am holding work permit which expires in Oct Next year but i am interested in the certificate courses (40-50 hours) offered by private career colleges in Toronto. This will help me or to prepare for exam in order to get certified from a professional board/association.

According to the school web site, I don't need a study permit to take these and even when i spoke with Admission executive, she mentioned that i don't need study permit to enroll in their certificate courses. All I need to do is pay the course fee and attend classes or online for 40-50 hours spread across 4-6 weeks.

On my work permit, however, it states "Unless authorized, must not attend any educational institution or take any academic, professional or vocational training course".

With this situation, can I still take the certificate program since the course is less than 6 months. Any help with this query is much appreciated.

Thank you very much.