Lost password

Jerry1410

all messages by user

5/23/2015
Topic:
PR Card Renewal - Notice of Tax Assessment

Jerry1410
Jerry1410
I lived outside Canada with my wife who is a Canadian Citizen for more than 730 days. As per the CIC rules I deem to have complied with the RO.

I want to renew my PR Card now and one of the additional documents to be provided to prove your residency is the Notice of Tax Assessment (NOA). Since I was a non resident I have not filed the tax returns and I cannot get this document.

The Consultant who is handling my application is insisting that I should provide this. Otherwise I am at a disadvantage.

In the mean time I have obtained CHRP (Certified HR Professional) Certification from CCHRA (Canadian Council of HR Association) by taking 2 very tough exams. This is a post secondary qualification and only Bachelor Degree Holders can earn this certification. My consultant tells me that this document is not good enough as an additonal evidence document as it was obtained through distance learning and not by residing in Canada.

I sought the opinion of another reputed Immigration Lawyer and he tells me that the NOA is definitely required for those applying to renew the PR by showing that they were physically residing in Canada. In the case of persons like me who are accompanying a Canadian Citizen abroad it is upfront understood that they were not physically present in Canada and the NOA is not required, but other documents to prove that the 2 were living together abroad are requried.

Please can you advise if there is anything in the Immigration Rules regarding this subject.

Thank you
5/23/2015
Topic:
PR Card renewal and PRTD

Jerry1410
Jerry1410
Hi

I came to know from a Consultant that for Permanent Residents who have been staying abroad with a Canadian Citizen they either renew the PR Card or give a PRTD (which is a Multiple Entry Visa valid for 5 years).

I want to know is there a PRTD (which is a multiple entry visa valid for 5 years). As far as I know the PRTD is given for the person who has no valid PR Card to return to Canada and apply for the PR Card and this PRTD is valid only for one entry to Canada.

Is there another class of PRTD (which is a multiple entry visa valid for 5 years).

Please advise.
Thank you.
6/1/2015
Topic:
PR card Renewal Processing Time

Jerry1410
Jerry1410
I sent my papers for PR Card renewal and the Immigration Consultant handling the application said that it will take 6-8 months. For that I replied to him saying that the processing times at present are 80 calendar days, which is approx. 3 months.

For that he explained that now they are processing papers received in April 2015 which means these applications were sitting in the inbox for 2 months, i.e. April and May and now they started processing them and that will take 80 days.

So it is 2 months idle time + 3 months processing = 5 months and then he said from their past experience they know that it takes around 6 to 8 months.

Some times I wonder why this has to be so long.

To renew the PR Cards they have to only verify if the person met the RO or not and may be they will be verifying security related data and that is not known to us.

If they had a simple process of stamping the Passports while exiting the Canada, the whole process of days resident in Canada could be automated and verified easily for most of the applicants, leaving very few that require detailed verification.

They stamp the Passports while entering Canada and rely on the entry stamps of other countries to count the number of days resident in Canada.

This is definitely not a proactive efficeint process.

There are things under your control and things not under your control, but if you take care of the things which are under your control, such as stamping passports while exiting, you can improve the whole process dramatically.

I hope this will be seen as a constructive feedback.

Francis
4/18/2018
Topic:
OHIP Coverage

Jerry1410
Jerry1410
I want to ask if anybody has experienced the following type of situation and how did you resolve it.

- I returned to Canada in Feb 17

- Went to apply for OHIP with my Bank Statement for March 17 which had my address.

- The Rep at Service Ontario asked me for several other documents which I do not have.
- Finally told me to come with the March/April Statements + a Cell Phone Bill in my name
- I did not submit my application.

- In April I faced some personal emergency and had to return to my country.
- I came back in March 18
- When I came back I got a letter dated May 17 in which OHIP has written that since I did not submit the requested documents, my eligibility for OHIP is cancelled.

Has anybody faced a situation like this and how did you resolve it.

Now I have to approach Service Ontario after waiting for 3 months.

So please help me.

Thanks.