AMOGHNAIR

all messages by user

6/10/2015
Topic:
Permanent Resident - Child born overseas

AMOGHNAIR
AMOGHNAIR
Hello,

I have a small question regarding the temporary resident visa (TRV) for my 2year old child. In briefly I am an international PhD student on a study permit already in montreal, canada for more than a year. My wife is also a student on study permit yet to travel with our daughter who got a V1 visa (she applied for a dependant TRV but got V1 visa).

From what I read from cic website is that the TRV is like a visitor visa and that the validity of TRV and the eligible duration of stay are two different things. The TRV is valid for 3 years but the maximum duration where the child can stay is 6 months as stipulated at the border security by the officer. Then again we have to extend it by reapplying and repaying. Is it how V1 dependant visas work?

So my question is, do I have to do this every 6months? Is this the way to go about this for V1 visitor visa. Please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

My 5 months old daughter just got a Visitor Visa (V1 category) to Canada. It took only 3 days to process. I'm writing down the details of the application and documents we submitted. Both Parents are PR holders and Baby was born in India. Application was submitted in Delhi through VFS. Father lives in Canada and Mother is in India with the baby.

1. Documents attached (Xerox)
• Passport, PR Card, - both parents
• Dr. License (for address proof)
• Employment – Employment Agreement/Contract, Paystubs or cheque (Last 2)
• Finance – Bank Statements (last 3 months)
• Tax – T4 and Notice of Assessments –of the employed parent/s

2. Application Forms filled and Submitted
• Visitor Visa application form: I entered 1 year for the duration of stay under the Details of Visit section along with the reason as ‘Joining Parents’. Entered ‘NA’ for Employment details.
• Family Information form: Details of the applicant (Baby) + Details of both parents.
• VFS Consent form (Only if done through VFS)

3. Letters attached
• Invitation Letter: A formal letter inviting the baby to travel and live with me. Specified where we will live and how to support financially.
• Cover Letter: I stated my intention of sponsoring my daughter as soon as they land here. Also specified that it will be hard to stay without my family. And I stated that should the Visa be denied, I would like to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit as a backup.
• Consent Form for minor to travel with one parent: In my case, my wife will be travelling with the child without me.
4. Processing Days
• Day 1: Submitted at VFS, Delhi
• Day 2: Received at Canadian Consulate
• Day 4: Processed and Dispatched
• Day 5: Passport received with V1 Category Visa (6 months)

6/10/2015
Topic:
How to Bring the Child of an International Student

AMOGHNAIR
AMOGHNAIR
Hi All,

I am an international PhD student on a study permit already in montreal, canada for more than a year. My wife is also a student on study permit yet to travel with our 2year daughter, back in India.

I applied for TRV for the child and child received a V1 visitor visa valid for 2 years. From what I read from cic website is that the v1 is like a visitor visa and that the validity of visa and the eligible duration of possible stay are two different things. The V1 visa might be valid for 2 years but the maximum duration where the child can stay is 6 months (decided at the port of entry). Then again I have to extend it by reapplying and repaying.

Coming to my question, since we both are international students on study permit, do we have to reapply for extending the childs visa every 6months? What I expected logically was to have a dependant visa atleast for the duration of the study permit or even simply 1 year.

I have no clue on how should I proceed. Please help me find a solution on how to proceed.

Please help. Any suggestions are welcome with gratitude.

Regards,
nair